A pale ale but will it be any good?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callumbo

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I put on a brew yesterday and rather than a recipe I just made a rough recipe and wondered if it sounds okay to every one.

5kg Marris otter
100g crystal malt
50g chocolate malt

60min boil
Challenger 25g start
Ekg 20g 10min
Mosaic 10g 10min
Mosaic 15g finish

Dropped on a yeast cake of Nottingham yeast

Thinking about possibly dry hopping with some more mosaic hops but not sure yet.

Is this sounding alright? Or have I fluffed it? I've never used mosaic hops before so was unsure at what times to use them. However when I opened them they smelt awesome so thought they were more for aroma so put in on the later end of the boil.

Hi guys.

I put on a brew yesterday and rather than a recipe I just made a rough recipe and wondered if it sounds okay to every one.

5kg Marris otter
100g crystal malt
50g chocolate malt

60min boil
Challenger 25g start
Ekg 20g 10min
Mosaic 10g 10min
Mosaic 15g finish

Dropped on a yeast cake of Nottingham yeast

Thinking about possibly dry hopping with some more mosaic hops but not sure yet.

Is this sounding alright? Or have I fluffed it? I've never used mosaic hops before so was unsure at what times to use them. However when I opened them they smelt awesome so thought they were more for aroma so put in on the later end of the boil.
Mosaic ís an awesome hop try M and S Mosaic Pale Ale, its made from Adnams,
Go for it 👍

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/homebrew_beer_hops

I share this link a lot but I find it really useful for hop substitutions and general hop info.

Sounds like a nice brew (I need to try adding some choc malt as you're not the first person I've seen try it in a pale and I normally save it for darker beers).

I do like it in pale ales. I feel it gives a richer tone to the colour and ever so slight chocolate/sweet tinge.

Worth h a try

Interesting hop pairing I'm interested to see how it turns out. It would be lovely get the honey from EKG blending with the tropical fruits and rose blossom notes that mosaic can produce.

Interesting hop pairing I'm interested to see how it turns out. It would be lovely get the honey from EKG blending with the tropical fruits and rose blossom notes that mosaic can produce.

I'm hoping so but just unsure as I've never used mosaic before. I've enjoyed a mosaic IPA before and it was lovely so fingers crossed it'll be similar.

Do you reckon a dry hop could be good?

I'd be tempted to see what flavours come through once fermentation is over. If it's not hoppy enough you can always dry hop and postpone bottling for four days or so.

Back