A splash of brut

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stigman

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just received an order from malt Miller and went for there brut ipa recipe kit I'm scratching my head how I'm Gona get 23l @1.056 with so little grain, surely this is a mistake
DSC_1155.JPG

just hypothesising but i would imagine the flaked maize will have a much higher starch content and therefore convert out with less residuals than malted barley and give you more gravity points for your buck.
Edit And check out your expected FG!! it will be light n dry thats for sure ;)

That does seem a very high OG for the amount of grain - I wondered what BH efficiency they expect you to achieve with these kits??

Just plugged this into BF and 100% efficiency gets 1.043 so either the SG or the grain bill must be wrong.

Have you contacted them to ask yet?

I didn't weigh the bag it was way smaller than my usual grain bills I usually make DIPAs and imperial stouts though. I've just sent them an email I'll see what they say. 1.056 to 1.000 gives 7.4 so that's right, I presume they must messed up the totals.

just hypothesising but i would imagine the flaked maize will have a much higher starch content and therefore convert out with less residuals than malted barley and give you more gravity points for your buck.
Edit And check out your expected FG!! it will be light n dry thats for sure ;)
Hopefully. brut ipa sounds right up my street I also chucked another 100g of nelson in my basket, be rude not too.

Well that's sorted now

Hi Aaron,
Please accept my apologies for this. Its been brought to our attention that there was an error made when the label was made up and its actually meant to have 4kg Simpsons Concerto Malt. Can you confirm a delivery address and i'll get a replacement bag sent out to you.

Many Thanks
Kyle
The Malt Miller

Just wondering how this turned out Stigman?

I am going to attempt my first Brut IPA this weekend, reading a lot of conflicting info on use rates for the glucoamylase though. Malt miller website suggest 1.8ml for a 23l batch but then your recipe (also from them!) says 15ml. probably err on side of caution and go high, I don't think there are any ill effects from using too much.

This turned out realy well. I did up the dry hops a little to 75g Nelson and 40g of mosaic. Just because I made a nelson smash a few years ago and thought it was a bit one dimensional.
As far as the enzyme goes I chucked in the full vial and it finished at 0.998

Latest posts

Back