Adding hops to my beer kit, dont quite understand a reply i got...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trotters80

Reaction score
Hello, I asked my local brew shop how to add & use hops because I was getting a lot of flavour at beginning but at end of my 40 pint kit, the flavour disappeared. I got this reply...

1. You can make a hop tea by steeping appropriate hops in water at 80c for 45 mins, straining, then adding the liquid to the fermenter at the start of fermentation.
  2. At the end of fermentation add hops to the fermenter and leave to infuse for 3 days. If you are using leaf hops, contain them in a fine mesh bag. Use about 30 gm.
When he says use 30g, is that at the beginning, or does he mean use 30g at the end, or in total ie 15 at beginning & another 15g in the bag?.

I don't have any fancy equipment, I just want to add flavour that's all, but keeping it simple with no science involved lol.

I know this will have been asked lots of times but theres too many posts to search. Thank you

Which kit(s) are you using? The more info you give, the better answers you will get. Also, what are you looking for that the basic kit does not give you? Are you trying to emulate a particular beer?

Hello, I asked my local brew shop how to add & use hops because I was getting a lot of flavour at beginning but at end of my 40 pint kit, the flavour disappeared. I got this reply...

1. You can make a hop tea by steeping appropriate hops in water at 80c for 45 mins, straining, then adding the liquid to the fermenter at the start of fermentation.
  2. At the end of fermentation add hops to the fermenter and leave to infuse for 3 days. If you are using leaf hops, contain them in a fine mesh bag. Use about 30 gm.
When he says use 30g, is that at the beginning, or does he mean use 30g at the end, or in total ie 15 at beginning & another 15g in the bag?.

I don't have any fancy equipment, I just want to add flavour that's all, but keeping it simple with no science involved lol.

I know this will have been asked lots of times but theres too many posts to search. Thank you

Not sure where you are getting the term beginning from.
The instruction was to add 30g at the end of fermentation. Don't split. Just add once fermentation as ended.

The thing is both instructions may not solve your problem. How long does it take to drink the 40 pints? I take it is out of a barrel, which oxidize and therefore lose flavour

Not sure where you are getting the term beginning from.
The instruction was to add 30g at the end of fermentation. Don't split. Just add once fermentation as ended.

The thing is both instructions may not solve your problem. How long does it take to drink the 40 pints? I take it is out of a barrel, which oxidize and therefore lose flavour
Point 1 says add liquid at start of fermentation. I interpreted that as the beginning?.
Yes, I use a barrell, but I have bought some bottles to try that way next time.

Which kit(s) are you using? The more info you give, the better answers you will get. Also, what are you looking for that the basic kit does not give you? Are you trying to emulate a particular beer?
Im currently using Tom Caxton, but have used others eg Coopers, brewferm, Muntons, Tooheys etc.

I, just want to get a light, citrusy beer. Nothing cloned as such

You can do either or both of these in whatever quantities you want. Around 30g of each or either would be a reasonable amount.

Point 1 says add liquid at start of fermentation. I interpreted that as the beginning?.
Yes, I use a barrell, but I have bought some bottles to try that way next time.

That wars posted in the original post.

Try the bottles, you will see a massive difference

Tr
They are prone to leaks, never got on with mine for the very same reason.
True, but food-grade grease on the seals and threads seems to fix it for me. I'm doing a little bottling now but the barrel is so much more convenient.

Latest posts

Back