Adding more hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebear1000

Reaction score
I have just started my second brew of bulldog double i.p.a after a successful first attempt the kit is supplied with simcoe and summit hops. And I have bought 100g of nz pacifica hops and wanted to use these in the brew as well the question is can I add these on top of the hops supplied with kit or remove one of the hops I got with kit?

Where exactly in the process are you thinking of adding them, the boil, fermentation, where?

I was thinking of adding them 8-10 days into fermentation then add the other two kinds two days before bottling

Generally the received wisdom seems to be not to leave hops in too long in fermentors. Apparently, if the are left in too long a "grassy" character is extracted from the hops. 3-5 days is recommended especially for American hops like summit and simcoe. Best way to do it is to syphon the liquid from one fermentor with the first lot of hops and then into another with the second. That way there is no oxygenation or contamination from splashing about pulling out old hops.

Another, good idea is to do this process first. That is, transfer to another vessel for dry hopping so the hops are not sitting on the yeast. If this seems like effort then there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to use at 3 hops at once.

Back