Adding vanilla to a coopers stout kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My next brew is going to be a coopers stout with 1.5kg dark lme, 300g cocoa powder and some vanilla extract. Now, I've been looking around and the only advice I can find is on adding vanilla pods (usually 2) but does anyone know how much extract I should use? I'm guessing 2 tablespoons but don't want to over do it so I'll start with 1, taste it and add more. If the flavour drops out during fermentation will it do any harm adding extract near the end of the process?

I also intend to prime with vanilla infused sugar, is this likely to make a difference?

A good way to add extract is to take out 500ml of beer from your FV after fermentation nd before bottling add some extract to taste then scale up for the whole brew length

My next brew is going to be a coopers stout with 1.5kg dark lme, 300g cocoa powder and some vanilla extract. Now, I've been looking around and the only advice I can find is on adding vanilla pods (usually 2) but does anyone know how much extract I should use? I'm guessing 2 tablespoons but don't want to over do it so I'll start with 1, taste it and add more. If the flavour drops out during fermentation will it do any harm adding extract near the end of the process?

I also intend to prime with vanilla infused sugar, is this likely to make a difference?
Look for a clone of this Porter from Wisconsin.:drunk:

snowdrift porter.jpg

snowdrift vanilla porter.jpg

imagsnowdrift Vanilla porter.jpg

A good way to add extract is to take out 500ml of beer from your FV after fermentation nd before bottling add some extract to taste then scale up for the whole brew length

Makes sense, I'll do it that way. Will the vanilla sugar used for priming impart much vanilla flavour?

Latest posts

Back