Admiral Reserve

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APINTA

Regular.
Reaction score
I have just finished brewing the Admiral Reserve Beer kit I followed all the instructions to the letter the Fermentation went OK it fished just over a week ago. I took a reading at the same time which it read 1020 and the instructions say keg it when it reaches below 1014 but done a other reading again and it still read 1020 I looked at the brew no bubbles froth it is as flat as a pancake when I also took a sample no bubbles rising in the test tube So I am at a loss what to do can anybody help me out here please by the way I tasted a sample it tasted good

I have just finished brewing the Admiral Reserve Beer kit I followed all the instructions to the letter the Fermentation went OK it fished just over a week ago. I took a reading at the same time which it read 1020 and the instructions say keg it when it reaches below 1014 but done a other reading again and it still read 1020 I looked at the brew no bubbles froth it is as flat as a pancake when I also took a sample no bubbles rising in the test tube So I am at a loss what to do can anybody help me out here please by the way I tasted a sample it tasted good

I never bottle beer before it has been in the first FV for 2 weeks and a second FV for another week.

No matter what your instructions say, bottling a kit brew like this at 1020 is going to be bad news. Just leave it.

Instead of peering at it, a gently pick-up-and-swirl might be more help.

Right should I leave it in the first FB for a other week then transfer it in to a other FB or leave it in the first one until it has gone to 1014 before putting it into the second FB I have just now given it a good stir

I take it you are using a hydrometer? Is the beer you are testing at 20c? If so maybe you should test the hydrometer in 20c water just to check its accuracy
If you are using a refractometer you will need to make adjustments in the reading for the alcohol that will now be present in the beer

Done what you said but still not shifted still at 1020 should I leave it longer to see what happens

Admirals Reserve is one of the dreaded Muntons kits with not enough yeast if I am not mistaken, and if that's the case and you used the kit yeast that means a stuck fermentation at about 1.020 like others in the range (look up the Wherry thread to read the tales of woe!)
So first what temperature did you ferment at? If it was too low say less than 18*C that might explain why the yeast has gone to sleep prematurely.
Next, usual advice for stuck fermentations is to
- swirl the FV with the lid on to move the yeast about or take the lid off and gently stir the beer with a sanitised spoon but avoid getting air in the beer
- put the FV in a warmer place say 22*C
- repitch with fresh yeast (perhaps started) although personally I have had no success with this method at all
Hope you get it going again

I have just checked the Temp it was 18c My wife gave a rather fast stir last night so I doubt that will do any good The only yeast I have is the one I use for my WOW wine which is a young yeast should I use that and if so how much? And should I transfer the Beer to a other FB?

1.Warmer place to start with.
2. If above doesn't work, a trip to Wilko to get an ale yeast would be my next step and in any case its always useful to have a spare pack of ale yeast handy. Personally I have no experience of using wine yeast to brew beer.

Just come back from the shops with a smile on my face - a general store selling 'out of date' Admiral's Reserve, shelf price £22, for £5.00!! Checked the expiry date, and it was last Saturday - 30/9/2017. So I pounced!

Never brewed this before, can anyone add any hints, or is it sufficient to brew as per instrutions to 32 pints? I've bought Nottingham yeast to use, and plan to keg half (got 9ltr mini kegs), and bottle the rest.

Latest posts

Back