Admirals Reserve kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening all , should I tweak this kit & how ? I brewed the kit up about a year ago it was a good solid bitter but nothing to write home about . What would you do ? Can it be changed into some form of Belgian type ale with the right yeast. I always treat my water so any style is possible.

Evening all , should I tweak this kit & how ? I brewed the kit up about a year ago it was a good solid bitter but nothing to write home about . What would you do ? Can it be changed into some form of Belgian type ale with the right yeast. I always treat my water so any style is possible.

I got this kit last year for Christmas, it's 2 cans right?

IIRC I split it into 2 brews, added extra DME as necessary and hops etc. One was an IPA with Admiral and Cascade hops, with the other I made a porter with DME and steeping grains.

Both turned out pretty good!

Yep 2 cans , nice call. I have plenty of dme as well , mainly light & some wheat dme actually.

If you go into brewers friend (or beersmith) you can input the can as amber lme (think it's 1.5kg), then you can build your recipe from there. Just remember the kits are already hopped, so the IBUs in the brewing software will be off.

Wheat DME could be interesting, with a Belgian yeast or something. Let me know what you decide to do!

I did same with my euro larger just before it fermented out at 6.5 I made a candi syrup with medium Dme and repitched with a high alcohol belgian yeast, trouble is its still fermenting and may get to 10.5. Its ended up like my wine and will probably need conditioning for 10 years!!!

Latest posts

Back