Advice on adding Raspberries to Wheat Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrums1

Reaction score
I would be advice on adding raspberries please. I will be making Weiss Beer and intend to brew it short at 20 litres. The add 2kg of frozen (thawed) raspberries.

• Is the enough? Any tips on adding them, muslin bags, loose, liquidised???

I will be adding 1kg brewing sugar too to the kit.
Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 17.50.56.png

I think that sounds ok. Between 1 and 2 kg is where I would aim.

One possibility is to blend them, then add a crushed campden tablet and leave it overnight to kill off any beasties. Add the liquid to the fermenter (and if you like you can put the pulp into a Muslim bag) and add it at around 5-7 days after you start the fermentation (after the fermentation has died down a bit). Leave it for about another 7-10 days before you bottle/keg it.

The reason for waiting before you add the fruit is that vigorous fermentation is said to drive off favour compounds from the fruit and can leave it tasting flat.

I have previously added 1kg of a packaged raspberry purée to a wheat beer. It had plenty of raspberry flavour - raspberries tend to take over in flavour and overwhelm everything else.

I guess frozen raspberries might not be as strong as a ready made purée, but I’d be inclined to start with 1kg, purée them, possibly use sulphite to santitise them (or pasteurise) and then dump them into the fermenter at the end of fermentation.

How do you pasteurise them. I don’t have a camp den tablet and have no home brew shops close. Maybe Boots might well them? I have Chem-San.

Latest posts

Back