Advice on an over-carbonated batch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephyr259

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've started drinking the smaller beer from my recent partigyle and it's really over carbonated, was aiming for 2 vol and it's at the point of gushing if not poured swiftly, I only use refractometer readings so it's not the best to see if the beer has attenuated more but the fg was 5.8 at bottling which gave 1.010, I was expecting 1.008 but this was the first time using the yeast, it was still within expected range and was stable at bottling. I tested a decarbed sample which gave 5.2 brix for 1.008, and I accounted for the extra 0.002 sg from bottle conditioning.

It been in the bottle for 12 days now so should be stable, but I'm a bit concerned for bottle bombs, it's in the cool cupboard where I store my beer. Just thinking over my options. I've heard of folks cracking the caps and re-crimping but surely that can't vent much gas so would need done multiple times? Pouring the whole batch into a bucket is just going to oxidise the lot given how foamy it pours.

Any suggestions, other than keep it cold and drink it quick?

I had this with a mild I brewed ages ago, i cracked the caps a couple of times and it all went ok. In fact I had one recently and it tasted ok after almost 18 months in the bottle.

Just to add I primed a 10l batch with 200g sugar....

Thanks, and that's a lot of sugar... This was 70g in 15L which is why it must have attenuated a touch more. It's a few days til I'm away offshore so will try and vent the bottles tomorrow, and maybe another time or 2 before I'm away. It will make it easier to pour if nothing else, as I'm at the pour into jug then glass stage.

Latest posts

Back