Advice please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Advice please; and "Yes!" I know I'm breaking my "No experiments in 2019!" resolution but ...

Before we head off to France I am looking to get a One-Can Wilko Lager Kit on the go, use Golden Syrup instead of sugar, ferment it at about 18*C for a week, rack it into a second FV, drop the temperature down to 10*C and then leave it lagering in the Brew Fridge for the 10-12 weeks we are away.

However, I have three of these that will go out of date during February ...

IMG_1014.jpg

They contain zero sugar (sweetening is with sucralose and acésulfame K) ...

... BUT the label says that it contains potassium sorbate as a preservative.

So, here are the questions:
  1. If I add the juice to the primary or secondary FV will it prevent the yeast from working?
  2. If I boil the juice prior to adding it to the FV will that cancel out the potassium sorbate?
One solution (and one to which I am leaning) would be to add the juice at the end of lagering and carbonate the brew with CO2 after kegging.

I hope that the finished brew will be suitably "citrous" in flavour and complement the Cherry Lager (that is currently conditioning on the shelves) on those warm summer evenings.

Thoughts please!

PS

In France the common term for a condom is a "preservative" so I got a lot of funny looks when I explained how I use salt as a preservative at home!

TBH, mate, the contents of your photos should only be introduced to your beer at a much later date. Stuff them in the conditioning Cherry Lager in the summer. A sort of sophisticated "shandy for the approaching elderly drinker", as it were. If you think the contents of the grog bottles will have gone off, anytime soon, you can drink them now and buy some replacement acidic water when the sun shines again.

Right, decision made!

I will brew a "non-experimental" Wilko Lager kit. i.e. One of these ...

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-light-golden-lager-brewing-kit-15kg-makes-40-pints/p/0318383

... using a 940g of Golden Syrup instead of sugar. (This is not experimental because I've done that before!)

"Plan A" is:
  • Use the yeast that comes with the kit to ferment at 18*C for the first week.
  • Rack into a second FV.
  • Add a rehydrated Lager Yeast (Saflager S-23)
  • Drop the temperature in the Brew Fridge to 9*C and leave it to lager for 10-12 weeks.
  • Transfer to Growlers and carbonate with CO2.
If I need a "citrus flavour" I will then add some of the Citrus Syrup as per the old "Lager and Splash" system used back in the 1960's: but here's hoping that it never comes to that!

Many thanks for the comments.

Back