Advice sought (Quite urgently) - Very active fermentation...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablo_C

Reaction score
Hi,

I put a Coopers English Bitter on last night, brewed to 23 Litres, with 1kg Medium DME added, and the yeast pitched at 23 Degrees.

Given the hot weather we are currently experiencing, I placed the FV in a water filled container, with an immersion heater set at 22 degrees to hopefully regulate the temperature during fermentation.

Came home from work this afternoon to find the temperature strip on the side of the FV indicating a temp of 28 degrees. So, I checked the actual temp of the brew with a thermometer, which came out at 26 degrees.

Finding the coolest part of the house to be under the stairs at 18 degrees, I moved the FV to there.

About an hour ago, a heard a loud 'pop' and on venturing under the stairs saw that the lid has blown off the FV with an extremely active foam creeping over the sides of the FV. Having resealed it a number of times, it continues to do so, with the temperature reading from the strip thermometer showing 26 degrees again. In order to prevent a catastrophic mess under there, I've had to now sit the FV in a bin bag, which I'm concerned could well be further increasing the temperature of the brew.

I know......I should have used an airlock...sometimes I do, sometimes I don't....I 've clearly misjudged this brew!!! (Lesson learned....)

Is there anything I can do here? Clearly, I'm thinking that the brew may become infected, with it being exposed to the air due to the lid continuing to lift open-what is the likely risk of this?

Secondly, is there any other way I can bring the temperature down, given the compromised seal on the FV at present?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards

Paul

Ideally you want a blowoff tube instead of an airlock. An airlock would have clogged and blown as well. I speak from experience. I've come up or woken up to multiple lids blown across the room. The thick krausen on top should protect the beer quite well. I wouldn't worry.

Try to keep it cooler if you can though. The water bath is good. I chuck a few frozen PET water bottles in there in the morning and then again at night. You can also wrap it in a wet towel and blow a fan across it.

Baz

Hi,

Yes, I've moved it from under the stairs into the kitchen now, which the O/H will absolutely love in the morning... :whistle:

That's a good idea about the ice packs...I'm on it!!!!

I hadn't considered that the Krausen should protect it...I'll stop trying to press the lid back down and leave it be...

Forgive my ignorance, but how does the blow-off tube work?

Cheers!!

Paul

You basically attach a hose to the lid and then put the other end of the hose into a jar of sanitize water. The blowoff or krausen will travel down the tube if needed into the water. Normally for me, it just allows the CO2 to escape and I have no actual blowoff

I believe with such an active fermentation, all the co2 produced should protect you from infection. A blow off tube is the best way to go, that and getting the temp down. A water bath should work, if you have a big enough bucket/container

Hi,

Well, got up this morning and the fermentation, whilst still going, has calmed down. also, the temp is showing 21/22 degrees c/o the temperature strip.

So, as it was at the higher temperature for under 24 hours, is there a chance the brew may have escaped the risk off the off-flavours associated with fermentation at higher temps?

Regards

Paul

I don't know the answer to that (if you look at the instructions that come with the Coopers kits, don't they recommend fermentation at 28C anyway? I wonder what yeast they use), but you wanna get yourself a brew fridge for summer!

Pablo_C said:
Hi,

So, as it was at the higher temperature for under 24 hours, is there a chance the brew may have escaped the risk off the off-flavours associated with fermentation at higher temps?

Unfortunately Paul it is the initial growth/reproductive phase which is the most critical. The yeast when it is stressed can switch metabolism to produce the precursors of fusel alcohols which give a solventy off taste ( and cause hangovers). So it is really important to control your temps in the first 24-48 hrs.

Fermentation is exothermic so by adding heat will make the fermentation go faster but also create even more heat.

At this time of year you probably don't need any heating or if you do set the temp lower than your target temp just incase you get a cold spell at night. At this time of year I just have my beer in an insulated fermentation cupboard with no heat and if it gets warm I crack the door open and if it is still to warm i place it on a cold concrete floor, that seems to work for me.

I would let it ferment out bottle or keg it and leave it for a while you may be ok. :thumb:

winelight said:
I don't know the answer to that (if you look at the instructions that come with the Coopers kits, don't they recommend fermentation at 28C anyway? I wonder what yeast they use), but you wanna get yourself a brew fridge for summer!

For some strange reason the Kit manufacturers always give out spurious instructions, which verge on the dam right rediculous, they seem to want you to brew quickly so that your FV is freed up for more beer, instead of encouraging you to buy another FV and put another kit on.

Just take the lid off and gently place it on top of the FV. The CO2 will protect the beer just fine, the reason for the airlock is mainly to keep flies and other nasties out.... which laying the lid on top will do just fine.

Hi,

Well, four days in to fermentation now, and have managed to keep the temperature at about 18-20 degrees after the initial higher temperature within the first day.

Krausen now all but gone, and brew gently bubbling away and seems to smell okay. I guess time will tell...

Paul

Latest posts

Back