AG#1 Pale Ale, New Boiler, Chiller & STC 1000 Build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smileyr8

Impressive Member
Reaction score
I have just finished and promised baggybill I would let everyone know how I got along.

So the equipment:-
Burco Sygnet 30l boiler
STC 1000 Controller
Homemade Wort Chiller 10m 10mm

Ingredients Etc:-
5.0kg Maris Otter 95.2%
250gr Caramalt 4.8%
Orig Grav = 1054
Re Pitched Safrale 05 from Extract Kit Yeast & Stout Mini Mash (I know they say you should not really pitch yeast from stouts to pales but this yeast has served me well so did not want it to go to waste).
35g Admiral Hop Pellets 14%aa boiled with Beer Enhancer for 40 mins
30g Admiral Hop Pellets 14%aa boiled with Beer Enhancer for 15 mins
35g Admiral Hop Pellets 14%aa boiled with Beer Enhancer for 5 mins
20g Cascade Hop Pellets 7.8%aa Dry Hopped Last 7 Days
20g Chinook Hop Pellets 14%aa Dry Hopped Last 7 Days
84 IBU
Whirlfloc tablet last 10 minutes
22 Litres / 38 Pints
71.62% Brewhouse Efficiency

Method:-
I used the STC 1000 to control the temperature of of the Burco aimed for 67 degs C, now that the brew is complete I would probably use the temperature controller on the Burco to see how that panned out. Mashed for 60 minutes using the BIAB method. I toyed with the idea of no sparge but ended up sparging with 3.5-4 litres of water @ 80 degs C as the boiler was a little more empty than I expected.
Wringing out the bag, this was a proper mess & lost probs half a pint in doing so over the edge of the boiler, also think there is more wort and efficiency to be had at this stage.
60 minute boil this all went according to plan & as described in the ingredients.

Used the wort chiller to cool down the wort, this worked really well, I enjoyed making it and can't believe how well it worked 15-20 minutes down to 24 degs C and maybe 60 litres of water, recycled the hot water for cleaning up.

Re-pitched Safrale 05 from the HBC ESB Extract Kit (this had also been through a mini mash stout) and topped up to 22 litres in the FV.

Improvements:-
I think I would like to make a hop spider, and need to think of a improved method of squeezing the last drop of wort from the grain, I am thinking a draining pan with a perforated base that sits inside the Burco & a lid to fit inside to aid compressing. And seeing the Burco is really good at temperature control I may do a stepped mash as discuss in a earlier thread.

One thing that really surprised me was the amount of cold break material, I am guessing this is just going to settle out into the trub and increase its volume, I am hoping for 19 litres so it goes in the corny nicely, I really hate to bottle anything these days.

Latest posts

Back