AG#1 Robinsons Old Tom

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hairybiker said:
Didn't know it was in the GW book, don't think it is in mine anyway. Maybe a newer version of the book?

3rd Edition page 179, got it off ebay cheap!

Really want to put it in a cornie or bottles I think. Have read so many horror stories about KK's and pressure barrels on here over the last couple of months. It would break my heart if I fecked it up by putting it in my barrel and it leaked or something (although it was great last time I used it).

The store bought OT comes in 330 bottles if I remember right. I got a few of those but not enough for the whole lot.

From memory the OT bottles are great but the labels are buggers to get off. Oil soak works. Since it's a clone, leaving the labels on has it's merits. T

If I bottle this, what about priming? The GW says I shouldn't need to??

I do like a little fizz....

You definatley need to prime. Batch priming is easiest. Loads of calculation software will tell you how much sugar to use. I usually aim for 2.5 vol CO2 but I do like it fizzy, that's probably more than an old ale should have. T

hi all, I won a bet with my boss at work :party: . The winner was to get a yeast of their choice from Brulabs. I've always wanted to have a go at Old Tom so I've now got the yeast. Only problem is that I'm struggling to find an AG recipe :(

Would anyone be willing to PM the recipe details please? :pray:

Well done regarding your first AG brew. :clap: :clap:

Be careful with the shelving, wouldn't like to think I had boiling wort supported on that type of fixing mate, I'd have more support underneath.. :hmm:

BB

Thanks for that!

That shelving has a safe working load of 44kgs per pair of brackets (my maximum load was circa 35kg in the mash tun)and that's with a safety factor of 100% (so failure at 88kgs). But I see your point and I will sort it before the next brew that will be coming up shortly! SNPA Clone..
:thumb:

Just tried a sneaky 330ml and it's superb already. I was told it would take months before it was drinkable?? Well not the case, its very drinkable. Not saying it wont be better in a few months though :cheers:

Just thought I would round this one off with a photo of the finished product. very nice it is too. Thanks for all the help and encouragement! :thumb:

photo_zps68a6d0c4.jpg

Living dangerously there with a pint of it :lol: :lol: .

We used to only serve it in halves in the pub I worked in. Occasionally some one would order a pint but raley would they repeat it :lol: :lol: .

graysalchemy said:

We used to only serve it in halves in the pub I worked in. Occasionally some one would order a pint but raley would they repeat it :lol: :lol: .

Surely GA that looks like a half pint? Maybe Mrs' GA is slowly reducing the size of your beer glasses?

My winter drinking game in Stockport is:

Drink in pubs untill you find a bar that has Old Tom on the bar in a pin untill...

1: Order a Half of Old Tom & Half of Unicorn (Bitter)
2: Sip the Old tom while recounting stories with friends
3: Upon noticing Old Tom is finished start on Bitter
4: Notice Bitter is refreshing and very easy to drink (clears pallet and brings an appreciation of the bitter)
5: Notice Bitter half is empty..
6: See #1

Until about 2 hours later you realise you have forgotten to do all the Christmas shopping and you have 28 missed calls from Mrs. whom is most likely unamused by your social attitude.

Darcey said:
graysalchemy said:

Surely GA that looks like a half pint? Maybe Mrs' GA is slowly reducing the size of your beer glasses?

My winter drinking game in Stockport is:

Drink in pubs untill you find a bar that has Old Tom on the bar in a pin untill...

1: Order a Half of Old Tom & Half of Unicorn (Bitter)
2: Sip the Old tom while recounting stories with friends
3: Upon noticing Old Tom is finished start on Bitter
4: Notice Bitter is refreshing and very easy to drink (clears pallet and brings an appreciation of the bitter)
5: Notice Bitter half is empty..
6: See #1

Until about 2 hours later you realise you have forgotten to do all the Christmas shopping and you have 28 missed calls from Mrs. whom is most likely unamused by your social attitude.
I like your christmas shopping , i may do something similar this year lol

That looks like a plan Darcey for our works Christmas 'lunch' this year starting off in 'The Castle Hotel' we may even get to wander as far as your place of work :lol: :lol: Perhaps not quite staggering distance from the Northern Quarter.

Latest posts

Back