AG#11 Broadford Belgian Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broadfordbrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
I needed to fit a brew in so I could take part in the Beer Ritz /Copper Dragon competition, Operation Remix, blogged here http://ghostdrinker.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/introducing-beer-ritz-and-copper-dragon.html. I had the crappy weather to thank for brewing yesterday, but you won't hear me complaining! I had a four-year old brew assistant up until the boil, and he's starting to learn the basics... he still can't make me a cup of coffee but we'll get there.

The competition guidelines state that the brewer must choose one of Copper Dragon's flagship beers, use the specified ingredients and either brew a clone, or remix it! I opted for Golden Pippin, which is 100% Maris Otter pale malt and hopped with Cascade and Columbus. I didn't much fancy brewing a clone, so decided on a Belgian remix, using Trappist Ale yeast and will be dry hopped. By my standards this is something of an experimental brew, so decided on a 11L brew length. I'm not keen on the idea of 40 pints of 'weird' beer, although I'm hoping that I will be kicking myself for not brewing a full 23L. Here's the recipe:

AG#11 Golden Pippin Celebration Ale (Belgian Pale Ale)
Original Gravity (OG): 1.051 (°P): 12.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.34 %
Colour (SRM): 5.5 (EBC): 10.8
Bitterness (IBU): 31.1 (Average)

100% Maris Otter Malt

Cascade (5.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
Cascade (5.7% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
Cascade (5.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
Cascade (5.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
Columbus (14.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
Columbus (14.2% Alpha) @ 3 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes.
Fermentation started at 18°C with WLP500 - Trappist Ale (cropped from my previous brew).

HLT switched on at 10.30am for a reasonably early start. Strike temp of 73C and 5.5L liquor for 2.20kg grain. Mashed in at 66C and lost 3C over 60 mins, probably due to the mash tun being so empty.

Sparged at 85C, 11.0L liquor. Collected 14.0L wort (pre boil) at specific gravity (SG) of 1.040.

IMAG0390.jpg

First hop addition of UK Cascade added at 30 minutes. Second addition of UK Cascade 20 minutes, third at 10 mins and fourth at 5 mins. Added a protofloc tablet at 15 minutes, and Columbus hops at flame out (electricity off). I really wanted to make the most of the aroma properties of both hops.

IMAG0395.jpg

Collected 10L of wort post boil with SG of 1.050. Cooled to 18C and pitched my WLP500 yeast (I added some of the cooled wort to the starter and aerated before pitching).

IMAG0396.jpg

A couple of things with this brew:

100% Maris Otter with a Belgian yeast may end up very dry! However, as per the Golden Pippin spec I could not use sugar.

I'm not entirely sure how my hop choice will get along with the banana that will most likely come through in the final beer from the yeast. Could be interesting.

I used UK Cascade rather than the specified Cascade. I can't see this being a huge issue and as these were to hand then they seemed like the sensible thing to use.

More photos of the brewday here http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb333/broadfordbrewery/AG11 Broadford Belgian Pale Ale/

I like this idea.

I have tried afew bottles of IPA's done with Belgian yeasts and it seams to suit the style.

I have been meaning to have ago at a Golden Pippin clone. Did they give you any further data on the hope schedules they use?

D

No sorry, they just gave us the grain and hop varieties :(
Glad you think it has a chance of working well though. The FV smells of the columbus rather than the banana heavy yeast, which is a start!

A belgian beer with US hopping should be nice if you get it right. Houblon Choufe and La Rulles Triple both work very nicely. On the other end of the cross over Raging Bitch isn't bad but not as good as the Belgian end IMO. I haven't tried any other US brewery ones in this style but I would bet there are some good ones, US craft brewing being what it is.

I've been meaning to do something along those lines with WLP550 Simcoe and Amarillo

Latest posts

Back