AG#72 - Toasted Oatmeal Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franklin

Landlord.
Reaction score
Brewed yesterday.
Toasted Oatmeal Stout - Its about time I made a Roasted Barley based Stout so the other week I toasted some oats in the oven, checking every 5 mins and turning them, they just began to catch so I stopped at this point (Slight oven-smell to them, hope this doesn't come through to the finished beer).
Nice solid bittering from Northdown and a little Challenger thrown in at the end too.

Fermentables:
Pale Malt - 70%
Flaked Oats, Toasted - 10%
Roasted Barley - 10%
Caramalt - 10%

Hops:
Northdown - 6.2 % @ 60 mins - 42g (FWH)
Northdown - 6.2 % @ 30 mins - 42g
Northdown - 6.2 % @ 0 mins - 15g (15min Steep at 100c)
Challenger - 7.6 % @ 0 mins - 15g (15min Steep at 100c)

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.015
Alcohol Content: 4% ABV
Total Liquor: 33.4 Litres
Mash Liquor: 12.2 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 45 EBU
Colour: 211 EBC
Mash: 67c for over 2 hours as I had stuff to do.
Yeast: Safale US-05

The malts, this actually dropped to 10c:

Copper filling onto First Wort Northdown hops:

I managed the protafloc all by my self:

Flameout hops going in:

Malt Recycling, she turns it into poo:

One division in the meniscus, 1046 on the nail:

AG#72 - Toasted Oatmeal Stout by Franklin, on Flickr

Pretty slow but no fuss brewday, left the copper to clean later, in the fridge set at 19.5c

That looks nice :thumb:

How long conditioning do you intend to leave it? My oatmeal stout is starting to taste quite nice now and I brewed it at the beginning of November, mind you I didn't have nearly you percentage roast barley.

Very interested to know how it turns out.

I'd guess at about a month for the Roasted barley to settle down, I'd expect it to be drinkable sooner but get better with age.

Looks lovely - finished supping my oatmeal stout just after Xmas - time to get another on, i've never used us05 in a stout before great to hear how this turns out, I used nottingham in my last and felt it was a touch bland maybe?

You better watch out ade! some chap on JBK seems to be stalking you and brewing the same beers! :D

This looks dead nice. I've only brewed one oatmeal stout according to Aleman's recipe and it's been praised by everyone who's tasted it. I'm also keen on hearing how S-05 works for this.

Latest posts

Back