AG#8 - Mole's Molester

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moley

Regular.
Reaction score
The plan for tomorrow was to get up early, get a mash on by 7am, sparge, boil while Mrs. Mole's at w**k, all cleared away by lunchtime and then go and meet Dave Corby at Blackheath, but my darling daughter has gone and bolloxed all of that.

Revised plan is to get up not quite as early, get a mash on by 7:30am, finish sparge by 10am, go play taxi service to daughter and a few of her friends, head off to meet Dave, come back and do the boil later in the afternoon.

Now then, I like a nice mouthful of malt, my last couple of mashes have used 5.25kg of grain to extract 32 litres and finish with around 25L at around 1.055, I've now got a bigger mash tun and a bunch of empty Cornii, so I reckon if I go for 8kg of grain I can extract 45-48 litres.

How does this sound?

7kg Pale M.O. (87.5%)
500g Caramalt (6.25%)
250g Crystal (3.125%)
250g Terrified Wheat (3.125%)

Boiling later in the day with Challenger and First Gold
Split between two FVs, one with S-04 and the other with Gervin English Ale yeast (which may or may not be Nottingham).

Edit: Strike that, I've just weighed my Pale malt, now 45 litres max.

6,300g Pale M.O. (86.3%)
500g Caramalt (6.84%)
250g Crystal (3.43%)
250g Terrified Wheat (3.43%)

Hi Moley

Sounds like a nice brew. I'd probably go for a max 30 - 35 ltr batch with that bill, but that's just me. What does the ABV come out at?

Have a great brewday, hope it goes well between lifts for daughter :cheers:

Oh.......
Moley said:

:D sorry, couldn't resist it!

Ok, I was awake early, so thought I may as well get up and get the liquor on.
If I've worked this out right it should be up to a rolling boil before 10am when first taxi is booked, chiller coil in by the time I have to pick up more daughter's friends and deposit them all a few miles away, come home, remove chiller, put lid on, go and meet Dave, come home, aerate and pitch.
Sorted :cheers: (in theory at least)

18 litres at strike temp. 77°C
6.3kg Pale
500g Caramalt
300g Crystal
200g Wheat
Mash start 06:25, 66.9*C

Tony said:
Oh.......
Moley said:
:D sorry, couldn't resist it!
You don't seriously imagine that was unintentional, do you? ;)

BTW, I will play this by ear and extract what I need, aiming for around 6% abv.

Moley said:
You don't seriously imagine that was unintentional, do you? ;)

I didn't for one moment imagine anything other :D

I think that's a great idea Moley. If you're not restricted by boiler and FV volume, go for it!
:cheers:

I stopped it short, my final runnings were still at 1.016, giving me 40 litres temperature corrected to 1.051

I'll lose some of that but I'm going to liquor back and hold it around 36 litres.

50g Challenger (7.0%) for 90 mins = 25 IBU
40g First Gold (7.25%) for 15 mins = 10 IBU

Sound ok? :wha:

IBU's sound pretty bang on to me. :thumb:

I got (quickly knocked up the pre-boil vol/gravity in StrangeBrew):

Challenger = 27.9 IBU
First Gold = 8.5 IBU

Thanks bolty :cheers:

I've got about 20g of Goldings (4.6%) still hanging around so I might chuck those in at the end.

All running to schedule so far, hit a rolling boil and first hops went in almost exactly at 10am, daughter's friend has just been fetched, this one's staying the night, and she's brought us a very nice bundle of fresh asparagus, straight out of their field.

Nice one Moley ... sounds like you've hit it smack on there!

Good luck with the house full of women :shock:

:D

Yep, the plan worked out perfectly. I made a new hop strainer last night, holes instead of slots, comes apart for cleaning, the whole thing wrapped in a medium mesh nylon straining bag. I even remembered to fit it before the boil. Second hops, protafloc and chiller coil went in around 11:15, flame out 11:30, I did throw those Goldings in. Chiller on, took daughter and friend to meet a few others, came home, removed chiller, put lid on boiler.

Went off to Blackheath to meet DaveSiv, sold on that 10 gallon (or think it might be 60 litre) electric boiler which I doubt if I would ever use. Had a bit of a natter, exchanged a few beers.

Came home, drained boiler, new strainer worked perfectly and I've never seen filth like that left behind before.

Wort divided between two FVs, aerated, yeasties pitched. I may liquor back, I might not. Ended up with around 32 litres at 1.056

And very happy i am with the new boiler mate, thanks again. And as for your beer, well my dad finish the AG1 in record time, and very impressed he was too. As for AG4 well im drinking that now. All i can say is, Bloody hell give me the recipe. its very simular to McEwans Champion. As for the other bottle, well i tried it, Lisa tried it, then Finlay finished it off and said " Daddy you make some of that". Also mate i couldnt resist nipping into the market and picking 6kg's of pale malt up, so ill be testing the new boiler out very soon.

corby_brewer said:
As for AG4 well im drinking that now. All i can say is, Bloody hell give me the recipe.
I'm glad you liked it, here's the thread. :cheers:
I haven't tried yours yet, they've gone down the cellar for a week or two like you said.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm completely new to these beauties, but I have a bunch of them waiting to be filled, hence the latest brew. For now I'm gassing from SodaStream cylinders for the simple reason that we've got 4 of them, including 1.5 full. I've cannibalised an old SodaStream machine for the connector, valve and trigger, and made a distribution board of sorts.
PB10051301.jpg

Grain bill:
PB10051501.jpg

Mash on:
PB10051502.jpg

Revised set-up with larger tun:
PB10051503.jpg

In go the Challenger:
PB10051504.jpg

PB10051505.jpg

Followed 75 minutes later by the First Gold.

Yeasties already getting jiggy, S-04 far more active than the Gervin:
PB10051506.jpg

Chicken feed for the neighbours, plus filth:
PB10051507.jpg

Your set up is really coming along Moley :D I would imagine your cellar is a perfect temperature for serving beer from all those cornies, I am quite jealous as my missus won`t allow me to convert half the kitchen into a bar :lol:

Great pics of your cellar evolving :clap:

Latest posts

Back