AG#9 Munich Dunkel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
I think I've done enough clones and standard brews now. I feel if I now start brewing the less common beers on my to-brew list I've got reasonable chance of making a decent job of it. First on my list is a lager. I've only ever had this style once before while working in Warsaw and trying the various beers on offer. I enjoyed it so much I made a note of the beer and a quick google showed it was a Munich Dunkel.

Munich Dunkel
Recipe adjusted to show results

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 24.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.600
Total Hops (g): 17.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.061 (°P): 15.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.89 %
Colour (SRM): 14.4 (EBC): 28.4
Bitterness (IBU): 21.4 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 82
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
5.500 kg Munich II (98.21%)
0.100 kg Carafa I malt (1.79%)

Hop Bill
----------------
17.0 g Target Leaf (12% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 13°C with WLP833 - German Bock Lager

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Basic recipe with just enough carafa to correct the colour. Would have been good as a decoction but maybe next time. Efficiency has put me a bit high on the OG and don't want to go mad brimming the FV. Unfortunately I have no noble hops in stock so just went for a bit of target. Wort tastes amazing, definitely getting the bready flavours. Think this is going to be good :drink:.

I've never used munich malt before and don't remember the flavours of the munich dunkel I had just that I enjoyed it. A couple of excerpts from the BJCP style guide: "Dominated by the rich and complex flavor of Munich malt, usually with melanoidins reminiscent of bread crusts." and "Unfiltered versions from Germany can taste like liquid bread, with a yeasty, earthy richness". The FV smells amazing like nothing I've brewed before but not sure how much of that is the yeast.

Good luck with it, I got a similar recipe from the Jamil Show, but with Carafa Special II and Hallertau hops, and it's on my list to brew.

Ron Pattinson calls this beer Dark Lager Mild, and Helles (which I love) Light Lager Mild :D

Latest posts

Back