AG#96 - Bravo+Apollo=Citra?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franklin

Landlord.
Reaction score
Bravo+Apollo=Citra? - Its something I heard Stan Hieronymus say on a Brewery Network podcast, so thought I'd give it a go and ordered some Bravo to go with the Apollo I already had. If its any good I'll maybe enter it into the Northern Craft Brewers & Saltaire Brewery Competition.
Thats experiment No.1, experiment No.2 was for SimpleOne on JBK who wanted 5 beers marking for a hopping experiment he's conducting, this second experiment also involved Dave @broadfordbrewer who came over to eat our food and drink our beer... and most welcome he was too.

Fermentables:
Lager Malt - 45%
Wheat Malt - 33%
Munich Type I (Weyermann) - 15%
Caramalt - 5%
Cara Munich III (Weyermann) - 2%

Hops:
Magnum - 12.7 % @ 60 mins - 25g (FWH)
Magnum - 12.7 % @ 30 mins - 25g
Bravo - 17.3 % @ 0 mins - 40g (80c Steep for 30mins)
Apollo - 19.5 % @ 0 mins - 40g (80c Steep for 30mins)

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.013
Alcohol Content: 5.5% ABV
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 55 EBU
Colour: 17 EBC
Yeast: Safale us-05 (I'd actually meant to skim off last weeks brew but totally forgot)
Mash: 60mins minimum, as we had beers to drink!
Liquor treated to Pale Ale via THBF calculator

The Malts:

Dave Mashing in:

The part of the brewday where we had to be diligent:

Running into the copper:

The 80c Steep hops:

Ag#96 - Bravo+Apollo=Citra? by Franklin, on Flickr

The wort was certainly smelling very good, hope the yeast works its magic and makes it taste like Citra, in any case the Bravo hops were smelling good, Apollo just smell like Onions :)
Did a 2.5 Litre Liquorback to get OG 1055, and less than 1 Litre short on predicted brew length.

Latest posts

Back