AG No 4 Evil Twin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutie

Reaction score
I started by reading the article on Mr Malty site about late hopping so decided to give it a try with the recipe
on there the Evil Twin beer .

I had to substitute some of the malts and change the hops so here is what I came up with.
had to use grains thet my local brew shop had in stock

evil twin
American IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 7.661
Total Hops (g): 119.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.073 (°P): 17.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.018 (°P): 4.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 7.17 %
Colour (SRM): 19.8 (EBC): 39.0
Bitterness (IBU): 48.9 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
6.008 kg Maris Otter Malt (78.43%)
0.501 kg Crystal 120 (6.54%)
0.501 kg Munich I (6.54%)
0.501 kg Vienna (6.54%)
0.150 kg Chocolate, Pale (1.96%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Cascade leaf (7.8% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
23.0 g Centennial Leaf (9.7% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
14.0 g Cascade leaf (7.8% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
14.0 g Challenger leaf (6.1% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
14.0 g Cascade leaf (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.6 g/L)
20.0 g East Kent Golding leaf (4.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.9 g/L)
14.0 g Fuggles leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.6 g/L)

----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Brew day got off to a good start with a visit to BarleyBottom shop my local shop for a 25 kg bag of Marris Otter
and the other malts for the brew .
I should have switched on the boiler before I went out so delayed the brew a tad .
Switched on and added half a camden tab it takes about an hour for my HLT to get up near mash temp
so had time to weigh the grains out and warm up the Tun .

This is where I discovered water had got between the layers of the cool box tun due to a crack caused by it freezing while full of water the crack is not inside so it was watertight for the mash

Went ahead and mashed and hit 66.5c from 75c hlt so pretty pleased covered her up and went to make a sparge device
as had no tin foil in the house this is my emergency sparge device.

2013-03-30151147.jpg

It worked quite well :thumb: apart from bits blocked up the holes when recirculating the first runnings

Mash temp had dropped to 64 over 90 mins which I put down to the bad insulating properties of the water between the 2 skins of the tun so need to make a new tun for the next brew.
I got a bit carried away with the sparge and over shot the quantity in the boiler which meant after the boil I had 3 litres of 1062 wort left over and I should have hit 1073
my plan is to boil off some of the water in the surplus and add it to the FV when the Krausen dies down so may get the OG I should have started with .

While the boil was getting underway I bodged up a couple of fans to remove the steam and spread the aroma all round the neighbours gardens .
2013-03-30162148.jpg

All in with the wife out shopping I had a very nice day tinkering in the shed .

looks like a nice beer :thumb: and well done over coming a few dificulties, it always helps when SWMBO is not around :thumb:

jonnymorris said:
troutie said:
...and spread the aroma all round the neighbours gardens.
Lucky neighbours. Like the emergency sparge box too... good work.

Have just checked the mash tun and found the crack is by the handle which lets the water in between the skins
the integrity of the inner skin is good so a few small drain holes should sort it out

The ESB will probably now become the Everybrew Sparge Box and save the tin foil :thumb:

Evil Twin is now bubbling well and wondering if it will need some dry hopping too

Back