AG/PG advice needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, there are huge threads on here about boiling and what you should/shouldn't do.

You need to find what works for you, as I found that a simmer was perfectly fine for the beer style I brew.
It reduced boil over, condensation & energy useage (and I still boil 25l batches in my brew kettle using the 900w element & partially cover the top with the lid to get my desired simmer level)

Thank you Frisp, that's more than very useful. I've looked at Brew father Beer smith and other and just went dizzy. Now I have an idea how to use it properly, I can foresee many hours of fun copying recipes and toying with quantities.

When boiling, jof, I thought it had to be uncovered? Something about boiling away impurities.... or did I imagine that?

Now, moving on... I'm planning my next brew. Already got the kit, (yes, planning to reuse the recipe later on if it's good by buying the ingredients). For a fermenter volume of 4.5L, how much headspace should I allow. I have a 15L bucket. Couldn't get anything smaller local, but thought it would be OK for 10L brews.

I thought of buying 5L mineral water, using the water for the brew, then fermenting in the bottle. I have a feeling that there won't be enough headspace, especially as the bottle tapers at the top.

I know the amount of krausen is variable but is the water bottle a non-starter?

For a 5L ferment, when I plan my own recipes, what size bucket do I realistically need, without risking krausen all over the place?

Now, moving on... I'm planning my next brew. Already got the kit, (yes, planning to reuse the recipe later on if it's good by buying the ingredients). For a fermenter volume of 4.5L, how much headspace should I allow. I have a 15L bucket. Couldn't get anything smaller local, but thought it would be OK for 10L brews.

I thought of buying 5L mineral water, using the water for the brew, then fermenting in the bottle. I have a feeling that there won't be enough headspace, especially as the bottle tapers at the top.

I know the amount of krausen is variable but is the water bottle a non-starter?

For a 5L ferment, when I plan my own recipes, what size bucket do I realistically need, without risking krausen all over the place?
Me personally Id use the 15L with the lid on tight and a bubble airlock, i have never know that too much headspace was a big isse. i could be wrong but whats the worst that can happen if you try it.? This brewing lark is one big experiment with benefits .

there is a danger that you get too caught up in teh small details and never take the leap and get a brew on..

Im sure there are people on here who without a care slop it in, slop it on and if it works its all good,

You might be right Frisp but it might also be difficult to keep it at the right temperature - a lot of unheated air above the heat belt.

Having tested it, with 5 L in the bucket, the tap is only just below the surface, and siphoning is difficult because the wort depth is shallow as its spread out.

Doesn't matter, found a supplier of smaller food buckets. Should do nicely.

correct boil uncovered or the drips do bad things is what I was told.
I boil partially covered, so steam can vent.
Not had a problem with bad drips as I sanitize the lid & it will have reached close to boiling from heat of steam.
But it's like a lot of things, it works for me with my equipment combination, but it might not work for you.

Latest posts

Back