AG1 TT Landlord

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrickl06

Regular.
Reaction score
First hitch - mash tun is down from 66 to 63 degrees after 45 mins - somebody please help??

Should i add some boiling water?? :cry:

Yes you can top up to get temp back no problem :thumb:

TT's seems to be a popular 1st AG brew :thumb: with good reason :cheers:

as long as you don't dislodge grain filter and wrap the mash tun up nice and snug after :!:

Seems to have done okay in mashtun - got 35 litres in the pan after sparging.

Cant get up to a rolling boil though - its sitting at around 101-102 degrees but not boiling - will this be okay??

It does need to be boiling - have you got a (safe) way to insulate your boiler? That might help get the temp up...

Aha seems to be rolling now at about 108-110 degrees :cool:

The smell is out of this world - even the wifey is complementing the smell saying if we ever sell the house then i have to do a brew whenever a viewer comes round :cheers:

One more thing - i need to sanitise my chiller - will the syphon tubes be okay in the boiling wort - ie not melt??

Depends on what they are made from, but my wilko's tube is fine with the temperature of the outgoing water from my chiller. Not sure that I would submerge the joins from the chiller to the pipes in the wort though. I tend to keep the joins well away from the brew if at all possible.

Well ultimately everything went pretty well i think, SG was 1038 compared to 1044 estimated so i added 200g of light DME which brought it up to the necessary level.

The first AG is definately stressfull i would say but looking back i enjoyed it immensely and cant wait to get the next one on.

One final question is that it went crazy for the first 48 hours in the FV but has now virtually stopped, however there is a ton of trub at the bottom so assuming that it has fermented as it should - does AG brew ferment quicker than kits generally??

anyway i have just dry hopped with 30g of Simcoe which smells fantastic and cant wait to get it in my glass :cheers:

What yeast are you using ? Description sounds right for S-04. AG brews I've done with that yeast have got down to FG in 5 days.

Congrats on your 1st AG !

Well done on your first :thumb:

Don't worry about the aparrent lack of activity, most brews set off quickly then slow down a bit, after about 5-6 days keep an eye on the hydrometer readings they should start levelling off.

You'll find your next brewday easier :thumb:

Back