Ahh Weevils!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All grain contains a certain percentage of insect matter, frogs, voles etc. So much for veganism.
Or do they imagine that combine harvesters have little pixies that run in front of the blades and remove all the little creatures and shazzam them to a place of safety?

:( You've shattered my illusions, Cwrw666! Next you'll be telling me there's no Father Christmas

All grain contains a certain percentage of insect matter, frogs, voles etc. So much for veganism.
Or do they imagine that combine harvesters have little pixies that run in front of the blades and remove all the little creatures and shazzam them to a place of safety?

No need for silly Pixies when the Fig Tree Fairy protects the little creatures. I light a candle to her most nights and it definitely works. Long time since there was a dead frog in my garden.

It won't put me off my pint....it makes you laugh ....wonder how the vegan beer brewers confirm this?

It all depends on the reason why some one is a vegan. If you're a jainist for example you'd stop drinking beer immediately upon reading this thread. I like me (whose a pescatarian, rather than vegan) you dont consume any animal products because it's healthier to not eat meat, you'd have no problem drinking beer a nano gram of weevil in it

Weevils are such a natural item in flour, grains as such that even the big supermarkets don't bother with them now. About a year ago the wife bought quite a lot of flour from a popular big name supermarket to make the family's xmas cakes. I heard a scream when she opened the first(of 10) bags. when i looked you could see the flour moving(refined me of the old Michael Bentine act with the flies in the sandpit). we took the flour back to the shop and was told that they could not do anything about it as they said it was natural to find these creatures in flour. And if to prove it they opened the other 9 packets and about 7 of them showed signs of the creatures. We pushed and got our money back and went else where for the flour. She would not open them and i had to do it. Didn't tell her i saw movement in flour before i poured into the bowl

Surely weevil biscuits were the staple food of sailors in the Imperial British navy? Back then it was a rat in a biscuit that might make an able seaman baulk.

Many moons ago I wandered into a ship's Mess Room and shook out a bowl of cornflakes before discovering that the tin of evaporated milk was empty.

I punched a couple of holes in a new tin and turned back to the bowl of cornflakes; only to discover that about 5% of them were trying to escape by climbing up the sides of the bowl!

It was a long time before I enjoyed cornflakes again because I had already used that particular packet earlier in the day!

Happy Days? :?:

BTW when I open any packet of malt I make sure that the opened packet is clamped closed and placed alongside an unscented dehumidifier. I do this on the basis that both mould and insects require moisture to survive but the lack of weevils in my grain may just mean that I have been very lucky ...

... so far! :thumb:

Was following this up and found the attached file which might be of interest - where appropriate will be freezing my grain for a short time before long term storage.

Attachments

• HGCAgrainstorageguide.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 106
Back