Air lock poltergeist?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazzie_fozz

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm currently brewing a Wherry kit. I brewed to kit instructions but adding extra 1/2 packet of Wilko's yeast.

It's been in the FV for 10 days now and hydrometer reading is down to 1016. It's been very sluggish since the first 3 days of fermentation so I'm concerned it's stalling.

I was just debating whether to add more yeast, or to stir it a bit. I put the airlock back on after taking a sample jar for the hydrometer reading, and I've just looked and the top of the airlock has popped right off!

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this because I don't think it could be the fermentation as it's slow / stalled?

Perhaps when you popped the lid down you created a seal and as the lid corrected itself it created excess air and that popped it off?

Perhaps when you popped the lid down you created a seal and as the lid corrected itself it created excess air and that popped it off?

That'll be it then, thanks Brightonnik. Probably a better explanation than my brew being haunted..

You're so close to the finished gravity, I wouldn't add anymore yeast. Leave it a few more days but if it doesn't go any lower it will be fine to bottle at 1016. I bottled a wherry at 1018 and it was fine (although I did keep a close eye on it while it was warm conditioning!)

Back