Airlock not bubbling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluehomebrew

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I brewed my first beer with a Ballihoo fermenting bucket and barrel, about a month ago.

I attached an air lock, but it did not bubble once during the month and a half it was brewing (apart from when I transported it in the car!).

Rather surprisingly, the beer came out OK in the end. Does the issue with the airlock indicate a problem with the beer or the equipment I used?

Any help would be much appreciated!

It sounds like the fermenting bucket was not airtight. Is it a plastic bucket with a lid?

The airlock is basically a pressure relief valve. If the pressure can escape more easily elsewhere (a not sealed lid for example) the airlock will not show any activity.

It sounds like the fermenting bucket was not airtight. Is it a plastic bucket with a lid?

The airlock is basically a pressure relief valve. If the pressure can escape more easily elsewhere (a not sealed lid for example) the airlock will not show any activity.

Yeah it is one of the plastic ones, that makes sense. I thought I had the lid on pretty snug, but I guess it is difficult to get one of the basic fermenters fully air tight!

Thank you for explaining, I might just skip the airlock on my next brew!

Air getting out also means air getting in. Some breweries ferment in an open fermenter because the oxygen stimulates ester production. It could also lead to oxidation of your beer. I would double check the seal next brew and don't skip the airlock - this is the most failsafe way to ensure good beer.

Airlocks are not a reliable indication of fermentation. The only two reliable methods are 1) a drop of specific gravity or 2) suddenly thinking you can dance.

Air getting out also means air getting in. Some breweries ferment in an open fermenter because the oxygen stimulates ester production. It could also lead to oxidation of your beer. I would double check the seal next brew and don't skip the airlock - this is the most failsafe way to ensure good beer.

Okay thank you Dorst. Do you know how I could make the seal tighter on the fermenter?Would tape or glue work?

Airlocks are not a reliable indication of fermentation. The only two reliable methods are 1) a drop of specific gravity or 2) suddenly thinking you can dance.

Thanks Bezza. For some reason I skipped the specific gravity reading, even though I had a hydrometer available. Will definitely be more thorough on my next brew.

Hey @Banbeer it is a two piece.
most of the time when I use this airlock the lid bit that goes into the main chamber with the water in will lift up as the C02 burps out and it doesn't settle back to its home position causing no bubbles, just means you have to relocate the lid and wait for the C02 to build up again, if you have the room maybe go for an 'S' airlock as its one piece?

most of the time when I use this airlock the lid bit that goes into the main chamber with the water in will lift up as the C02 burps out and it doesn't settle back to its home position causing no bubbles, just means you have to relocate the lid and wait for the C02 to build up again, if you have the room maybe go for an 'S' airlock as its one piece?

Yeah I noticed this as well, it causes a bump in the middle of the lid which loosens it. I might have to get an ‘S’ airlock if that works better! Thanks for the tip!

Yeah looking online, saw an S airlock on Brew2Bottle but it recommends a rubber bung shaped like a cork. I think the grommet I already have should work?

Okay thank you Dorst. Do you know how I could make the seal tighter on the fermenter?Would tape or glue work?
Cling film in four strips over the edge of the FV top rim will be enough to seal. That's all you need. And many brewers just accept their airlocks leak.And I suggest you dont get too concerned by scare stories about your beer oxidising and spoiling due to a tiny leak in between the lid and the FV rim..

For what it's worth, I've not used an airlock on the past few brews and have just left the lid a bit loose.

Cling film in four strips over the edge of the FV top rim will be enough to seal. That's all you need. And many brewers just accept their airlocks leak.And I suggest you dont get too concerned by scare stories about your beer oxidising and spoiling due to a tiny leak in between the lid and the FV rim..

Thanks for your help Terry. I’m going to try this with one of the S airlocks that @Banbeer recommended. I’m not too worried about it spoiling because it worked out okay last time even if the lid was a bit loose!

I noticed on the FV in your Avatar that there is a brown tide mark around the FV, this is where your krausen stopped rising, having this visual mark means that initial fermentation has take place, not that it's still happening but a good sign that beer has happened/happening. Sometimes they rise higher and sometimes lower but a good visual.

Latest posts

Back