Aldi Coffee Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SWMBO got me a bottle to try at the weekend as she hasn't noticed it in our Aldi before has anyone here tried it, what are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I've had it and like it. Brewed by Hall & Woodhouse, I think?

Not often a choice of dark beers in Aldi and I'm not sure if it's in all?

Aldis beer selection is a bit hit and miss. It used to be better, in my opinion. I keep looking at this and thinking I might have it a try, but then opt for their knock off Hobgoblin (which I think is more like the original Hobgoblin than the current real Hobgoblin if you see what I mean) or a bottle of McEwans Champion. Let us know how you get on

Badger Moaster Stoat Coffee Stout.

That'll do for me its my current favourite beer and sometimes difficult to find here.

1711054214870.png

I couldn't resist so tried it last night, I got swmbo to try it as its well documented my taste buds are not what they used to be and she said it was nice but Badger master stoat is slightly better, I agreed and for me the Aldi beer tasted a little more bitter.

If you find it give it a try I would love to hear your reviews.

I have had it and would class it as ok. I think most Stout/Porters are good as the style seems to be more forgiving IMO.
Just waiting for the flack🪖!!!

One of the worst commercial beers I've ever had was a Stout.

Donkeystone Madagaska. Was flat, acidic, and tasted like cola. I see the brewery is closed now and not surprised if that was the standard of their output or quality control.

I have had it and would class it as ok. I think most Stout/Porters are good as the style seems to be more forgiving IMO.
Just waiting for the flack🪖!!!
Had one again as it’s now in my local Aldi. Price tag says ‘new’ so perhaps it’s just rolling out….

Would amend my original comment to ‘ok’. But it followed 2 ok William bros ipas (hazy and brut), clearly been to Aldi!!! and a Homebrew stout, so taste buds were skewed

One of the worst commercial beers I've ever had was a Stout.

Donkeystone Madagaska. Was flat, acidic, and tasted like cola. I see the brewery is closed now and not surprised if that was the standard of their output or quality control.

Donkeystone were local to me. When they first started their Stouts and dark beers were actually really good. They changed premises and the quality just fell off massively. I was talking to a lad who worked there and he said when he started the brewing staff had no clue what they were doing. I also think they maybe sold a lot of older stock they had leftover during lockdown for bargain prices. I always found the beer in the taproom massively better than if I bought it elsewhere, especially than if their beers turned up in Lidl.

Back