PG Tips drinkers.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah...its like lamb shanks. They used to be a couple of quid each. They were epic curried in the slow cooker until the "celebrity chef" lot started using them. Now they're vastly over priced.
As for tripe...just can't get it!
Same here with the shanks, I remember when they were 4 for $1.00 only usually bought for the dog, now it's 2 for $9.00.
Lamb hearts went up overnight from $2.90 for 6 to $10. Tripe isn't too bad if you know where to look.

I am not 100 %sure the blend has changed, but it sure hasn't got any stronger, put it that way.

Did you read post#3?

Lipton Teas and Infusions is giving PG Tips a completely new look and blend. The move comes as Lipton Teas and Infusions aims to put value back into the tea category through premiumising one of the leading brands. PG Tips’ new Original, Gold and Decaf SKUs will hit shelves across all retail channels in the UK in the coming weeks.

The re-launch is being supported with a planned multi-million-pound marketing campaign set to go live in the first half of 2024 – the biggest ever media spend in the tea category.

The company will support its retail partners in enhancing shelf navigation within the tea category. This will be achieved through the execution of in-store shopper activations, including front of store pallets, gondola end displays, and barkers. Out of store entrance communications, as well as disruptive online communications, are also planned.

Liam McNamara, PG Tips general manager, UK and Ireland, says: “Tea is much loved but has been one of the most neglected categories, so it’s crucial that we restore one of Britain’s most cherished beverages to create value for everyone. We will do this by delivering the highest quality product and experience to our consumers, coupled with efficient service for our retail partners.

“The re-launch aims to rekindle Britain’s profound affection for tea by enhancing the black tea drinking experience and delivering a more refreshing and superior taste across our portfolio. We are confident that our reformulated blends, coupled with the introduction of the market’s only square tea bags, will provide consumers with PG Tips’ most exceptional tea experience to date. We’ve been taking top spots in taste tests.

See, that's the problem when brands reformulate.
People then try the alternatives as their favourite is no longer the same & a lot of them won't go back.
Bit like the cadburys sell out.

Yes. Did you read my post?

Yes, I found it a little confusing hence my question about reading my post (post #3) these are conflicting quotes from your post -

I am not 100 %sure the blend has changed, but it sure hasn't got any stronger, put it that way.
Personnaly, I think it's what's called "product optimisation" in the food world. You take a product and market it. When it achieves satisfactory customer ratings, you make it cheaper by changing processes and ingredients.

Post #3 -

Lipton Teas and Infusions is giving PG Tips a completely new look and blend. The move comes as Lipton Teas and Infusions aims to put value back into the tea category through premiumising one of the leading brands. PG Tips’ new Original, Gold and Decaf SKUs will hit shelves across all retail channels in the UK in the coming weeks.

The re-launch is being supported with a planned multi-million-pound marketing campaign set to go live in the first half of 2024 – the biggest ever media spend in the tea category. <SNIP>

Thanks for the warning everybody. When we go to London, we normally bring a load of PG Tips with us. We already had a small box of Yorkshire, think we bring back a big box this time (next February).

Got probably about 100 of the old PG Tips pyramid bags left, always thought it was a very good tea as far as bags go .... oh well we'll probably switch to Yorkshire, know it well.
I guess the original blend was too expensive.

Yes, I found it a little confusing hence my question about reading my post (post #3) these are conflicting quotes from your post -

Personnaly, I think it's what's called "product optimisation" in the food world. You take a product and market it. When it achieves satisfactory customer ratings, you make it cheaper by changing processes and ingredients.

Post #3 -

The re-launch is being supported with a planned multi-million-pound marketing campaign set to go live in the first half of 2024 – the biggest ever media spend in the tea category. <SNIP>
Ok Chippy, you could have just said you were confused, I'd have been happy to explain, as I am now.

So, the first paragraph about the blend, is my opinion that I have not noticed the taste changing over the last few years, but I did notice the decaff was weaker than 'ordinary'. That isn't surprising though, because when a product is "optimised' it usually is done gradually - large changes get noticed. Small gradual changes are less likely to be noticed by consumers. Also, many, or large changes may require changes to processing equipment. That's extra costs to put back if the changes are unpopular. It's easy to make changes to small batches in a development kitchen, not so easy for large batches, or continuous production.

So, changes to my decaff haven't been noticed by me over the years. Equally, I haven't noticed any changes recently other than no cellophane on the box, and square bags. Possibly they haven't 'improved' the decaff yet.

The second paragraph is my take on what has happened, over the years, and I admit isn't very clear. Sorry about that, I'll see if I can edit it for clarification. I feel product optimisation has gone so far that the product has lost customers. As I said, my wife won't drink the decaff, so our consumption of PG is half what it used to be. In my local ASDA they had half a shelf of PG recently, but 4 and a half shelves of Tetley! My Tesco also has more Tetley than PG. The only decaff PG in Tesco is the 70s which are much more expensive than the Tetley equivalent..

The corporate response to the situation is the marketing drivel spouted from the orifice of the guy you quote. Now, some people will be taken in by the bullsnot that marketeers spout, but not me. When he talks about making the brand 'premium' (I refuse to use his bastardised terminology), I simply call moving back to the old recipe because the present one is unpopular, probably with marketing hype to justify higher costs.

When he talks of a massive marketing campaign, I see that as admission that the brand is failing. The product placement he talks off is usually paid for by the manufacturer to the supermarket, eg gondola ends

He talks of tea being a neglected category, but how can you neglect the only or at least the most significant product you make? After all, what else do Liptons or PG make?

He also talks of restoring the brand and our affection for tea which are more admissions that the brand has lost ground. He speaks like he's doing the consumer a favour by 'improving' the brand.

Don't forget, PG isn't just competing with other tea brands, it's competing with every other beverage, including soft drinks, and chocolate and coffee. Look at the growth of nespesso type machines - that must have hit tea sales, but where was the response?

So, in short it looks like the chimps have stopped moving pianos and are now running the company.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back