PG Tips drinkers.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Do we have any PG tips drinkers here and if so have you tried the new square bags?

Last week SWMBO bought a box op PG tips and on opening found they had changed from pyramid to square bags i thought they must be cheaper to manufacture so they has switched but on trying a cup i knew something was wrong, i assumed she had bought a different make of tea by mistake so she bought another box and the brew was the same i dont think awful would be exaggerating they have ruined PG tips for me and many others they must have changed the blend as i cannot see the shape of a bag making that much difference, here are 4 of 42 reviews from Tesco slating the new blend.

The new taste gets a slating here also - PG tips - Home is rated "Bad" with 1.2 / 5 on Trustpilot

1703257914112.png

Last edited:
I huge backwards step why didn't they bring the new blend out alongside the original?

Lipton Teas and Infusions is giving PG Tips a completely new look and blend. The move comes as Lipton Teas and Infusions aims to put value back into the tea category through premiumising one of the leading brands. PG Tips’ new Original, Gold and Decaf SKUs will hit shelves across all retail channels in the UK in the coming weeks.

The re-launch is being supported with a planned multi-million-pound marketing campaign set to go live in the first half of 2024 – the biggest ever media spend in the tea category.

The company will support its retail partners in enhancing shelf navigation within the tea category. This will be achieved through the execution of in-store shopper activations, including front of store pallets, gondola end displays, and barkers. Out of store entrance communications, as well as disruptive online communications, are also planned.

Liam McNamara, PG Tips general manager, UK and Ireland, says: “Tea is much loved but has been one of the most neglected categories, so it’s crucial that we restore one of Britain’s most cherished beverages to create value for everyone. We will do this by delivering the highest quality product and experience to our consumers, coupled with efficient service for our retail partners.

“The re-launch aims to rekindle Britain’s profound affection for tea by enhancing the black tea drinking experience and delivering a more refreshing and superior taste across our portfolio. We are confident that our reformulated blends, coupled with the introduction of the market’s only square tea bags, will provide consumers with PG Tips’ most exceptional tea experience to date. We’ve been taking top spots in taste tests.”

https://www.talkingretail.com/produ...s-a-completely-new-look-and-blend-19-09-2023/

Yorkshire for me, everything is going the same way being cheapened off, i had a tin of heinz oxtail soup earlier, it should be renamed oxtail gravy with a few carrots in it, i am going to send them an email tomorrow

I can remember when they introduced the pyramid bags with all of their fancy TV adverts telling you why it made a better cuppa. I wonder what's changed (spoiler alert: shrinkflation)

Yorkshire for me, everything is going the same way being cheapened off, i had a tin of heinz oxtail soup earlier, it should be renamed oxtail gravy with a few carrots in it, i am going to send them an email tomorrow
Oxtail was a cheap meal, over here Oxtail is the same price as prime ribeye.

Bushells Extra Strong tea for me sits for 20 minutes before I touch it.

Yeah...its like lamb shanks. They used to be a couple of quid each. They were epic curried in the slow cooker until the "celebrity chef" lot started using them. Now they're vastly over priced.
As for tripe...just can't get it!

It must be Yorkshire, it's the law. Mind you, years ago we used to get Ringtons. They were as good 👍
We've tried looking for a cheaper substitute but couldn't find it

Cheers Tom

I've had PG decaff for several years. Last month or two, I've got cheesed off because Tesco are only stocking the 70s box which works out waaaaay dearer than a bigger box. Asda seems to have delisted them, they only have 70s of any type, but several shelves of Tetley.

I was not happy about the new square bag. I remember all the hype about the pyramid bag. So why is the square bag suddenly better?

I am not 100 %sure the blend has changed, but it sure hasn't got any stronger, put it that way.

The decaff already seems weaker than normal. My wife won't have them. She has Aldi Gold (think) ant they're pretty good. Quite strong. If they were decaff, I'd have them.

In terms of cost, 70s decaff was 30p different than Tetly 150 (may be 180) decaf in Tesco. Can't be sure, but think PG tips were dearer! Even if they were 30p cheaper, there was only half the number.

Personally, I think it's they're trying to undo what's called "product optimisation" in the food world. You take a product and market it. When it achieves satisfactory customer ratings, you make it cheaper by changing processes and/or ingredients. Most big manufacturers have a special department for it,who continually look at how they can make savings. Eventually, the product is so different from how it started that sales decline. Then the product is either dropped, or relaunched with a new recipe. I think that's what's happening here. The fact that it's lost so much shelf space shows the supermarkets are unhappy with sales.

Obviously, my continued PG consumption will now have to be reconsidered.

Edited for clarification. Bold shows added text.
Several "auto type" mistakes corrected (my phone obviously thinks I normally type gibberish)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back