Quantcast

Ale Storage Advice

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Chiplover

Reaction score
I’m a fairly new brewer and have only done kits so far. I most enjoy traditional British bitter and recently got hold of a hand pull. I’m not likely to polish off 20litres in a month so storage is fairly important to me.
The question is about how best to store my brew for easy use in a hand pull. These are my thoughts:
1.King keg with co2 - I believe this will keep the beer in fairly good condition and a combo of conditioning and co2 can be used to account for the handpull drawing liquid to replace the air.
2.rack to several small volume bag in a box- much easier dispensing setup with no worries about replacing air and 3-5litres would easily get used over a weekend/week, However how long is a bag going to last unopened if it ends up being a few months?

is a combination of the two better for longer term storage? Could I store in a pressure barrel and dispense to a bag a few days before drinking and would I need to prime the bag?

is there any other small volume options for real ale like a mini keg with a vitop tap?.

sorry for all the questions. As more of a sipper I’m worried about wasting my precious brews and want to get it right before I move on to extract brewing

Mavroz

Landlord.
Reaction score
If you only want a pint a night, as said bottling is the way for you to go.

Using a handpull, drawing through and cleaning after your pint each night will probably waste more beer, need more time and need more cleaning than what it is worth....

Chiplover

Reaction score
If you only want a pint a night, as said bottling is the way for you to go.

Using a handpull, drawing through and cleaning after your pint each night will probably waste more beer, need more time and need more cleaning than what it is worth....
Maybe a mix of bottles and save the tap for a session then

Chiplover

Reaction score
Your best bet is to get into Corny kegs then follow @peebee 's guide to 'almost' cask real ale using low pressure regulators and demand valves and stuff.
Yes I believe I can do something similar with the barrel so think that might be the best way

terrym

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about this low tech solution.....
Bottle your beer but lightly carb it. On opening inject air into it using a Calpol type syringe. That displaces dissolved CO2, you get a good head on the beer and less of the CO2 bite you get with bottled beers.
And it will cost next to nothing to try out :laugh8:

Mavroz

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have been using bags in boxes, 18 pints at a time. They don't let oxygen in, they don't need venting, they don't need a Co2 setup and the beer seems to keep well in them but obviously I use them for more than a pint at a time. I probably use a box per weekend when I put the pump on with friends and family around.

Chiplover

Reaction score
I have been using bags in boxes, 18 pints at a time. They don't let oxygen in, they don't need venting, they don't need a Co2 setup and the beer seems to keep well in them but obviously I use them for more than a pint at a time. I probably use a box per weekend when I put the pump on with friends and family around.
I’ve seen you can get 3, 5 and 10 litres which is why I’m keen. Do you prime the bag?
Out of interest do you ever store them for more than a few weeks before opening?

Mavroz

Landlord.
Reaction score
I’ve seen you can get 3, 5 and 10 litres which is why I’m keen. Do you prime the bag?
Out of interest do you ever store them for more than a few weeks before opening?
Yes, you can get 36 pint bags also but they are bulky to.mive around and store.

I have primed with small amounts of dextrose solution over the last few brews, yes. I am still experimenting with this .Depending on how much you use, the bags have to be vented to stop them expanding too much.

Yes, they are stored for a while before opening. I am building a stock now of boxes, along side the many bottles I have made for Xmas. 😆

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
I recall that @Coffin Dodger has a very ingenious and inexpensive system for collecting the fermentation gas in a balloon which gradually deflates as you draw off the beer. You might look up some of his earlier threads.
When I finally get the shelf space to rig this up, I'm going to have a go myself.

Chiplover

Reaction score
Yes, you can get 36 pint bags also but they are bulky to.mive around and store.

I have primed with small amounts of dextrose solution over the last few brews, yes. I am still experimenting with this .Depending on how much you use, the bags have to be vented to stop them expanding too much.

Yes, they are stored for a while before opening. I am building a stock now of boxes, along side the many bottles I have made for Xmas. 😆
Sounds like the bags work very well I’ll give it a try

Chiplover

Reaction score
I recall that @Coffin Dodger has a very ingenious and inexpensive system for collecting the fermentation gas in a balloon which gradually deflates as you draw off the beer. You might look up some of his earlier threads.
When I finally get the shelf space to rig this up, I'm going to have a go myself.
Yes he has! I’ve thought about it a lot and I think I could do a similar system by just adding co2 to the barrel, it’s only when drinking a lot in a short time it would cause a problem which is why I wondered about transferring from barrel to bags.

Seems like there’s a lot of ingenious ways I’ll get my thinking cap on