Storing grains in old Corny Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

periolus

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am thinking about how I am going to store my malt, especially smaller packs that I am using a bit of each time. To help, I am trying to plan my first recipes so that I can use the malts up completely within 3 or 4 brews, so no more than 3-4 months.

I have some airtight storage containers and I have heard those food bins with lockable lids are good. However, I have an older corny with a knackered liquid output and a seal that won’t take over 20psi. So…..what if I put my smaller amounts of grain in ziplock bags, all in a drawstring bag stored in that corny under a small pressure of CO2 to keep out oxygen?? Any thoughts…..?

Is the grain pre-crushed or whole? Crushed grain can last many months just in a cool dry place, without any need to make it airtight. Whole grain can last over a year in the same conditions.
I wouldn't worry about keeping it airtight at all if you are expecting to use it all in 3-4 months.

Is the grain pre-crushed or whole? Crushed grain can last many months just in a cool dry place, without any need to make it airtight. Whole grain can last over a year in the same conditions.
I wouldn't worry about keeping it airtight at all if you are expecting to use it all in 3-4 months.
It would already be crushed - if there is no need to worry too much about this, then our local ‘everything’ shop has large food boxes for a few quid that have a silicone seal, maybe airtight, but definitely stackable on top of a cupboard in a relatively cool room.

Airtight is better but that includes ziplock bags, but the necessity for this will vary with crushed or whole grain, and the degree of malting. More highly kilned malts will last far longer irrespective of crush.

The priority is to ensure the grain is stored dry.
Your keg isn't necessary for storage and I can't imagine it will be particularly easy to retrieve grain from the bottom of it. You'd probably be better repairing the keg for use, or selling it and getting some of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0897NG933/
It's worth remembering that crushed grain takes up quite a bit more volume than whole grain (10 to 25%) which I know is a bit counter intuitive.

Seems like overkill to me (and hard to get the grain out). I'd use the keg as a lagering vessel or to age sour/wild beer

I think the issue for most brewers is that unless it is in a sealed rodent proof container they will end up feeding small friends they do not want

I think the issue for most brewers is that unless it is in a sealed rodent proof container they will end up feeding small friends they do not want
I had a mouse get in to my stores years ago. I now have an old military metal chest that keeps them out

I use these for large quantities
51NwLG0ybfL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

and these for small quantities

Capture.JPG

What he said. ^

Don't make it hard, farmers keep grain on the floor in sheds, and have done so for millennia.

Airtight and cool is plenty.

Latest posts

Back