Amarillo/Summit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pearlfisher

Landlord.
Reaction score
My next extract brew I'd like to base on this recipe -

250g caragold &
250g malted wheat 65C 30 mins.
1 tin LME
1 tin Sundew
30g amarillo boil 40 mins.
10g amarillo 15 mins
5g Irish Moss 15 mins
flameout 10g Amarillo steep 30 mins.

but I'd like to use Summit hops as well ,any suggestions please of how much and/or/when to replace the Amarillo hops with Summit?

Bung your summit in a 5 mins, or even flame-out. Won't alter the bitterness appreciably, but a lovely aroma hop. If you're going for an addition at flame-out, don't be cautious either - 50 grams won't harm it, but the aroma will be much improved. If you can dry-hop, even better!

I'm busy (busy... In the bath with the ipad in a case... :lol: ) working my way through a weird beer that started out as Old Hooky and finished up as an ultra dark portery thing and I absolutely ladelled in the summit late on..

For bittering it's not the smoothest, in fact I've even got a bit of harshness from the 15 minute addition ('twas bittered with challenger so it's definitely not that...).

That said this bottle is showing a marked improvement - that's been over a month now and it's only just starting to come good. The flavour from the hop is grapefruity, maybe a little orangey, a sort of confused Chinook...

Hops are a very personal thing. I always saw Summit as a bittering hop. I would not add them in the last 10 mins of a boil but that's just me.

I would swap out the amarillo at 40 with Summit and leave the 15 and flame out as amarillo. Leaving the quantities unchanged.

Thanks all , I'm going to try -

23L

250g caragold &
250g malted wheat 65C 30 mins.
1 tin LME
1 tin Woodfordes Sundew
20g amarillo boil 40 mins.
15g amarillo 15 mins
5g Irish Moss 15 mins
flameout 35g Summit steep 30 mins.
Sa04 yeast.

Latest posts