American Amber recipe check

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair70

In need of constant supervision
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This recipe is in the development stage, my previous brews were improvements variations on the James Morton Mosquito recipe and it’s time to start work on my own.
I’m happy with the grain bill. Ideally I’d use Pale Chocolate and put a bit more in, but I don’t have any so its 50g of full-fat instead.
Questions
I’m still pretty clueless when it comes to hops; any thoughts on this lot, and any other ideas?
Yeast choice-I’m not sure I’ll get another brew out of the current WLP090 culture so want to have something dried on standby. BRY-97 seemed like a good option, but I’m open to trying something new. This will be brew #1 in a new recipe delevopment process, so might as well do something new for a change.

Attachments

• IBreakForLlamas.pdf
    110.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Watching with interest, I like an American amber. 800g of Caramunich 1&2 seems alot plus I would be looking to add a small dry hop.
@dave_77 has good experience of this style.

Watching with interest, I like an American amber. 800g of Caramunich 1&2 seems alot plus I would be looking to add a small dry hop.
@dave_77 has good experience of this style.
The grain bill is the fall out from many Irish Red iterations, and I purposely didn’t look at the last American Amber recipe when planning this one. The caramel malt % is definitely generous but there‘s a lot more hop contribution to this brew which is why I went higher for the first run out..

I will get one on the go as well, we can swap 👍
From memory my last attempt wasn't great. More the colour, it like a muddy puddle.

Sounds like a plan👍 @samale. I brewed the James Morton recipe a couple of years back, then did two more brews refining it each time. All came out well, although the original version had IPA level bitterness and definitely not what I want in an amber ale.
Good clarity and good carbonation really helps to make these styles sing.

What's the difference between an American amber and a hoppy red ale. Is an amber more malt forward
I’m shooting for moderate to high American hop flavours, a moderate to strong malt backbone leading to lingering complex caramel malt contribution. The chocolate malt is there to help bring a little dryness in the finish.
So it’s a moderately high ABV hoppy red ale with a good malt back bone that says American Amber on the palate and not ‘Smithwicks with C-hops’.

I've still only drunk one bottle of mine, and that was at a 'bit early to judge' time too. I might bung one in the fridge now for an hour or two.

<checks notes>

25 days in the bottle now. Still not that long.

What's the difference between an American amber and a hoppy red ale. Is an amber more malt forward
I would say a hoppy Red ale you would be thinking more like American Red IPA. More bitter, dryer and hoppier.
Amber's to me should be a step up in colour from American pale to dark copper and a similar sort of hop range to a pale. Could be moderate hop flavour or my preference is similar to a well hopped pale.
My thing that I haven't been happy with on my last batch was that it was hazy and as @Alastair70 said I much prefer it clear. It seems to be yeast choice and level of dry hop that is causing the haze. Next batch o might do a heavy whirlpool and a smaller dry hop 3-4g per litre dry & the same in the whirlpool. Planning on using something like S-04 at the lower temp range to see if that drops clear and leaves some sweetness .
I did use CML Beoir a couple of batches back and that dropped clear

Last edited:
This is my next Amber that I have planned, although may change the dry hop/whirlpool levels.
https://share.brewfather.app/VbJJPnOzZWn2AZ
That's your Altbier Dave.
I am thinking about using Columbus and mosaic, I was impressed with the last IPA you sent me. I think that dank aroma and flavor would carry well in an amber. I need to check my grain stock to see what recipe to go with

This recipe is in the development stage, my previous brews were improvements variations on the James Morton Mosquito recipe and it’s time to start work on my own.
I’m happy with the grain bill. Ideally I’d use Pale Chocolate and put a bit more in, but I don’t have any so its 50g of full-fat instead.
Questions
I’m still pretty clueless when it comes to hops; any thoughts on this lot, and any other ideas?
Yeast choice-I’m not sure I’ll get another brew out of the current WLP090 culture so want to have something dried on standby. BRY-97 seemed like a good option, but I’m open to trying something new. This will be brew #1 in a new recipe delevopment process, so might as well do something new for a change.
I’ve made AAA on 3 occasions and used Kveik Voss twice and US05 once. Better with Kveik. For hops I use whatever US “C” hops I have to hand.

This recipe is in the current issue of Zymurgy along with my latest article.
Screenshot_20220523-091937.png

Sounds nice that.. definitely more along the English route rather American...have you been missing the English Ales?
More than you know, actually missing cask ale the most.

Yeah most AAA's here are slanted towards the British end when it comes to malts. Toffee is a must!

I would probably stay away from caramunich I have always felt that gave more of a raisiny flavour.

More than you know, actually missing cask ale the most.

Yeah most AAA's here are slanted towards the British end when it comes to malts. Toffee is a must!

I would probably stay away from caramunich I have always felt that gave more of a raisiny flavour.
Interesting, didn't know that about caramunich..just thought it was similar to low ebc crystal..

Latest posts

Back