American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djnperry

Reaction score
Hi I'm not sure if I'm in the right section but ive been trying to brew an American style ipa with a big hop taste like a Sierra Navada or brewdog punk ipa. However I keep getting more bitterness from my hops but not that big hop taste. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. My last recipe was as follows.

30l boil
25l end batch

Fermentables
6kg larger malt
500g carapils

Hops
20G Admiral - 60 min boil
70G cascade + 70G fuggles 10 min boil
70G cascade + 70g fuggles flameout

Sefale 05 yeast

Any advice would be appreciated

You could try having not sure much hops at 10 mins and put them in as a dry hop. How do you do your flameout hops?

Put them in a muslin bag when I turn the boiler off. Turn the cooler on straight away leave them in while it cools.

You won't get that big hop flavour from the fuggles as they are a mild British hop. Try changing these for some big American hops (as well as Leon103s advice about the dry hopping).

You'll also be extracting some bitterness when your flameout hops go in to the very hot wort. Many people chill the beer down to 70-80C (which doesn't take long) then turn the cooler off and let them sit for half an hour before chilling down to fermentation temp.

Have done in the past but not this time.

Haven't seemed to get that much more flavour from it.

Made American IPA one time. Hop schedule for 22 litres below. Don't know if my experience adds anything helpful but I found loads of hop flavour from this.

60g Northern brewer + 15g Target for 60 mins (bittering hops).
25g each Willamette & Cascade for 15 min.
25g Citra for 5 mins.
Cooled to 80C, added 25g each Citra, Cascade, Willamette for 30 mins.
Dry hopped with 50g Citra, 50g Cascade, 25g Willamette for seven days after vigorous stage of fermentation was over.

Made American IPA one time. Hop schedule for 22 litres below. Don't know if my experience adds anything helpful but I found loads of hop flavour from this.

60g Northern brewer + 15g Target for 60 mins (bittering hops).
25g each Willamette & Cascade for 15 min.
25g Citra for 5 mins.
Cooled to 80C, added 25g each Citra, Cascade, Willamette for 30 mins.
Dry hopped with 50g Citra, 50g Cascade, 25g Willamette for seven days after vigorous stage of fermentation was over.

Ok thanks

Consensus seems to be I need to cool it a bit before adding the flame out hops and use more American hops.

Latest posts

Back