American Mocha Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 23602

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all,

First post nerves here, so bear with me.

I started homebrewing with beer kits about 3 months ago. I have so far done a Wilko Velvet Stout, a Bulldog DIPA which I added Grapefruit and a Wilko Woodfordes Real Ale which I added Banana. However, I have just begun a Youngs American Mocha Porter and feel I may have not added enough water. I wanted to increase the ABV, so increased the amount of Brewing Sugar (an additional 250g) and reduced the amount of water, I think it was about 17.5L. I also added 1kg Extra Dark Malt Spray and 500g of Lactose. Is the yeast going to be okay chomping through it all in the normal 3 weeks recommended time?

Many thanks in advance.

Ben

What was the OG compared to the recommended OG?

My OG was 1.084 but I don't recall seeing a recommended one of the kit guide. It says that it's 5.8% ABV and the FG should be 1.010 so I can only think the OG should be around 1.054.

I'd use more yeast, mate. I never skimp on the yeast, particularly when I'm brewing an imp. Brewed a 6.2% stout 2 weeks ago with an OG of 1.061 and FG of 1.015. Bloody thing stuck at 1.020 and would not shift. Even tried a packet of turbo re-start yeast. Eff all difference that made! It pist me off so I kegged it.

I'd use more yeast, mate. I never skimp on the yeast, particularly when I'm brewing an imp. Brewed a 6.2% stout 2 weeks ago with an OG of 1.061 and FG of 1.015. Bloody thing stuck at 1.020 and would not shift. Even tried a packet of turbo re-start yeast. Eff all difference that made! It pist me off so I kegged it.

Thanks for that, did it matter that you kegged it before reaching FG? And sorry, I am pretty new to all this, but is there a particular strain of yeast that I could add? Does it matter that its been fermenting for 10 days already?

I got fed up waiting. The gravity hadn't changed for 4 or 5 days. Hope it doesn't re-start in the keg but it seems unlikely to do so.

Do you know what strain of yeast came with the pack? TBH, I have had very little success (possibly none) with re-pitching yeast when a ferment has stuck. You could maybe try adding some yeast nutrient, if you haven't already done so.

What is the gravity reading at now?

I got fed up waiting. The gravity hadn't changed for 4 or 5 days. Hope it doesn't re-start in the keg but it seems unlikely to do so.

Do you know what strain of yeast came with the pack? TBH, I have had very little success (possibly none) with re-pitching yeast when a ferment has stuck. You could maybe try adding some yeast nutrient, if you haven't already done so.

What is the gravity reading at now?

I haven't added anything further since Day 1. I'll have a look at what yeast it was and check the gravity reading when I get home.

I haven't added anything further since Day 1. I'll have a look at what yeast it was and check the gravity reading when I get home.

It sounds like you are doing some fun stuff there. Do you buy extra yeast or are you using the pack of yeast that comes with the kit?
When I am making recipes like that I input my ingredients into beersmith (you can use a free online recipe calculator like brewer's friend), input your fermentables like the amount of your spray malt, brewing sugar and for the tin I just use 1.5kg of any type of Liquid Malt Extract (LME). That will give you an estimated OG.
Then go to a yeast calculator https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/ and input your OG, batch size and amount of yeast you are planning on using (kits usually come with 5 or 7 grams I think). That'll tell you how far off you are.
I just inputted your info and it's saying you need about 3 x 11g packs of yeast for a healthy amount in that beer. You want to use the all the same type really, so just buy a few packs of the wilko gervin yeast (or buy yeast online/from your lhbs) and throw the one that comes with the kit into the fridge. Then once you've saved a few of those up, you can pitch them together (or use them on small batches).

Hope this helps!

It sounds like you are doing some fun stuff there. Do you buy extra yeast or are you using the pack of yeast that comes with the kit?
When I am making recipes like that I input my ingredients into beersmith (you can use a free online recipe calculator like brewer's friend), input your fermentables like the amount of your spray malt, brewing sugar and for the tin I just use 1.5kg of any type of Liquid Malt Extract (LME). That will give you an estimated OG.
Then go to a yeast calculator
https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/ and input your OG, batch size and amount of yeast you are planning on using (kits usually come with 5 or 7 grams I think). That'll tell you how far off you are.
I just inputted your info and it's saying you need about 3 x 11g packs of yeast for a healthy amount in that beer. You want to use the all the same type really, so just buy a few packs of the wilko gervin yeast (or buy yeast online/from your lhbs) and throw the one that comes with the kit into the fridge. Then once you've saved a few of those up, you can pitch them together (or use them on small batches).

Hope this helps!

Thanks for all that. Really appreciated it, I'll take a look at that before my next brew. I've never considered using a different yeast than what is provided in the pack. The same goes for the quantity, I tend to just stick with the kit and add things for flavours, strength, body etc. The one I'm referring to has already been used unfortunately. Is it worth me adding more yeast to a brew that's 10 days into fermentation?

Thanks for all that. Really appreciated it, I'll take a look at that before my next brew. I've never considered using a different yeast than what is provided in the pack. The same goes for the quantity, I tend to just stick with the kit and add things for flavours, strength, body etc. The one I'm referring to has already been used unfortunately. Is it worth me adding more yeast to a brew that's 10 days into fermentation?

Maybe someone else will have an answer for this, but I've done it once before with a DIPA that got stuck at 1.024 for almost a week. I made a little starter with some DME and added the yeast, waited a few hours until it was foaming and added that. It worked and dropped a few more gravity points over the next week. That ended up being one of my favourite brews, so yeah, if I was in your shoes I'd probably add more.

If you do decide to do it, remember everything that goes near your beer now should be sanitary. Sanitise all vessels, bpil the water, add the dme, bring it down to pitching temps and add yeast.

The yeast that comes with the kits is usually not even a healthy amount to ferment the kit it's stuck to, so once you start adding more and more fermentables you are really pushing those little guys to the limit.

Maybe someone else will have an answer for this, but I've done it once before with a DIPA that got stuck at 1.024 for almost a week. I made a little starter with some DME and added the yeast, waited a few hours until it was foaming and added that. It worked and dropped a few more gravity points over the next week. That ended up being one of my favourite brews, so yeah, if I was in your shoes I'd probably add more.

If you do decide to do it, remember everything that goes near your beer now should be sanitary. Sanitise all vessels, bpil the water, add the dme, bring it down to pitching temps and add yeast.

The yeast that comes with the kits is usually not even a healthy amount to ferment the kit it's stuck to, so once you start adding more and more fermentables you are really pushing those little guys to the limit.

Does the yeast need to be the same as the one from the kit? Or can I just grab any old thing?

Does the yeast need to be the same as the one from the kit? Or can I just grab any old thing?

Haha I wouldn't say any old thing, but a pack of the wilko gervin one or something like us-05 would do for this purpose. You won't get a whole lot of character from it at this stage anyway so just go cheap and cheerful.

Let me know what you decide to do

Haha I wouldn't say any old thing, but a pack of the wilko gervin one or something like us-05 would do for this purpose. You won't get a whole lot of character from it at this stage anyway so just go cheap and cheerful.

Let me know what you decide to do

Will do. Thanks for all your help and sorry for the constant questions.

Will do. Thanks for all your help and sorry for the constant questions.

Don't be, there's a lot to learn and it can be daunting at times because you don't want to ruin a batch by doing something wrong. Everyone's been there, and there's plenty of experienced people on here who are happy to help. I have only been brewing since November really and I learn new things constantly!

Don't be, there's a lot to learn and it can be daunting at times because you don't want to ruin a batch by doing something wrong. Everyone's been there, and there's plenty of experienced people on here who are happy to help. I have only been brewing since November really and I learn new things constantly!

I just remembered, I brought the temp of that DIPA up a couple of degrees C as well, I didn't have temp control then so I just moved it further up in my airing cupboard.
Good luck!

Appreciate that. It would be nice to evolve at some point though. Currently using 2 fermenting buckets, brew in the kitchen and store in the airing cupboard. The airing cupboard however has no external walls and holds a temp of 20 degrees Celsius whatever the weather, which is perfect for fermentation and 2 weeks conditioning. I did however just treat myself to some shelving in the shed as posted below. The shed again, maintains a cool 10 degree Celsius whatever the weather due to its brickwork and shading all day under some massive trees.

shed.png

Appreciate that. It would be nice to evolve at some point though. Currently using 2 fermenting buckets, brew in the kitchen and store in the airing cupboard. The airing cupboard however has no external walls and holds a temp of 20 degrees Celsius whatever the weather, which is perfect for fermentation and 2 weeks conditioning. I did however just treat myself to some shelving in the shed as posted below. The shed again, maintains a cool 10 degree Celsius whatever the weather due to its brickwork and shading all day under some massive trees.

View attachment 19215

My airing cupboard is the same, but there's space on the side where I can move the fermenter higher for higher temps.

I'm actually buying some new shelves for my shed today haha!

I'm not averse to tweaking kits but I do tend to leave the Young's American ones alone as they're generally pretty good in their own right and well balanced.

I've made the Mocha Porter before and you're fine brewing it 17.5L as that's the volume it's meant to be done at anyway. You must like your beers pretty strong as this one is fairly heavyweight to start off with so adding another kilo of spraymalt and extra sugar to it is pretty manic! Assuming it ferments out then a couple of pints of it and you'll certainly know about it.

Luckily with these kits the supplied yeast is of good quality and a 20g sachet so may cope with the extra fermentables. I think it comes with a Newcastle Dark Ale yeast which attenuates around 73% so don't be surprised if it does get much below 1.025, edit that, just read you've also added lactose (non fermentable) so this will further bump up the final gravity but to what I've no idea as I've not personally used it in a brew myself.

Good luck!

I'm not averse to tweaking kits but I do tend to leave the Young's American ones alone as they're generally pretty good in their own right and well balanced.

I've made the Mocha Porter before and you're fine brewing it 17.5L as that's the volume it's meant to be done at anyway. You must like your beers pretty strong as this one is fairly heavyweight to start off with so adding another kilo of spraymalt and extra sugar to it is pretty manic! Assuming it ferments out then a couple of pints of it and you'll certainly know about it.

Luckily with these kits the supplied yeast is of good quality and a 20g sachet so may cope with the extra fermentables. I think it comes with a Newcastle Dark Ale yeast which attenuates around 73% so don't be surprised if it does get much below 1.025, edit that, just read you've also added lactose (non fermentable) so this will further bump up the final gravity but to what I've no idea as I've not personally used it in a brew myself.

Good luck!

Thank you. I'll keep this updated once it's done.

Wow, not used any Youngs kits before, I just searched that kit and didn't realise it's 2x 1.5kg. Seems like a pretty quality kit, and as @graf says 20g of yeast is a lot closer to what you need for your OG than I was estimating.

I was assuming it was 1 can with a 5-7g pack of yeast. Those types are the best for pimping (different yeast, more malt, fresh hops etc), or in the past I've used two halves of a 2 can kit I got for Xmas to make 2 completely different beers (an IPA.and a porter).

Back