American Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frasermitch

Reaction score
Any tips /alterations to this recpie? This will be my second extract and it should be an American Pale Ale

Ingredients

3kg Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for15 min](8.0 SRM) Extract 4 80.0 %
250g Mild Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 13.3 %
250g Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 6.7 %

30g Cascade [7.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 20.7 IBUs
15g Saaz [4.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 2.6 IBUs
7.5g Saaz [4.80 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 6 0.2 IBUs

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 7 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 39.7 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 7.4 SRM

I have never used saaz but I am a massive fan of cascade so the answer to your above question is definitely yes from me

i have enough to go all cascade on this brew, i am worried that the cascade (7.7%) will overpower the saaz (4.8%)

As an American, I can honestly say that Saaz is not used by many American ale breweries. Additionally, most people outside of the United States assume West Coast Pale Ale, when they think American Pale Ale. The basic West Coast Pale Ale has a grist that contains 90% 2-row brewers malt and 10% specialty malt, usually some form of crystal malt. Additionally, no American brewery that I know of bitters with Cascade, as Cascade has poor keeping qualities with respect alpha acid retention. While many different cultivars are used to bitter West Coast Pale Ale, the big West Coast kettle hops are Chinook, CTZ (Columbus, Tomahawk, Zeus), Galena, Nugget, Northern Brewer, and Perle. The prototypical West Coast Pale Ale; namely, Sierra Nevada Pale is bittered with Perle and finished with Cascade. One really cannot go wrong with the Perle (kettle)/Cascade (finish) combo. Perle also blends well Centennial or just about any "citrusy" and/or floral hop. I personally love Perle as a kettle hop with Mt. Hood as a finish hop in blond ales.

Back