Andybody live near Ullapool?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Brewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've just bought something expensive on e-bay and the guy has zero previous transactions and wants a bank transfer before delivery.

Its a bit too far for me to check it out in person, just want somebody to check the item exists and its not a scammer.

I will pay anybody willing to do this, the item is 1800 quid, its a machine for my workshop, will allow me to make all sorts of nice stainless steel fittings

I've done lots of other checks, I understand scammers methods, I just need to make sure the machine is real as it is a very nice example.

PM me if your interested.

Cheers
Andy

Can't help with the checks as I'm no-where near, but that does seem like a potential scam - and if you do it by bank transfer you will have almost zero protection should the machine not appear, or maybe not be all it was claimed to be....

Not that this means they're not genuine - maybe just want to avoid the paypal fees - but they have to understand the position this puts you in...

Cheers BY.
Just the threat of somebody coming around to look may flush him out. Would be nice to be able to actaully have somebody to go around in case he says yes, but he coudl be calling my bluff.

Just got a scan of his driving licence and "Driving Licence" is spelled "Driving License" so I'm pretty sure its a scam :shock:

Andy

Some of my snowboarding mates are seriously geeky IT people... they've tracked down individuals before.... want to give us a link to the auction and we can start probing?? Can't promise anything mind you!

I'll have a few more attempts at phoning him but yes, why not :D

I have a scan of his driving licence, his email and phone, I'm reasonably well up on IT, more manager than hand on nowadays and had a quick look at the email addreses used to send the email, I think in one email he used a fixed IP address mobile device. So may be a way to track him through his mobile account, but I'm not that sure.

He may be a genuine seller and just have a dodgy driving licence, unlikely, but possible. He must be really stupid to use a fake ID to identify himself if he's not a scammer!

I go to Ulapool a few times on the bike but I'm not up there for a while. Therefore I could go but I'd only be going for that purpose so I'd want about £200 to cover fuel and accom so wouldn't be worth it.

Tell the seller to ram it unless he will take Paypal.

K

Thanks Kev but not necessary now, confirmed as a scammer. Evidently there are a few more expensive bits of machinary on ebay in similar remote locations that are also very suspect, in one case the scammer has forget to edit the text stating the equipment is located in Ohio when he advertising it as located in Shetland.........

yes, reported - not sure if it will do much good though, they are queuing up to try and rip people off.

when you smell a rat...theres a rat...

Well done

well avoided ... :clap:
there are a lot of forigeiners pretending to be out of the way ..darkest scotland..
and just about to return to afganistan...so they cant be there when you wish to call... :roll:
they try it with a lot of vw campers,boats and any other thing that is expensive and mobile...

your money will end up in eastern europe or nigeria.. :evil:

Latest posts

Back