Another beer gun question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glove81

Reaction score
Hi guys

Sorry to ask, I did search (I promise) before posting. Has anyone used this beer gun? Bottle Filler Beer Gun

Was going to spring for the Blichmann but delivery is £15 so was kind of put off, 15% of the total cost urgh.

I have a lager nowhere near ready, if you follow the rules, but a bunch of family coming up 2nd week in August means I'd like to offer them some homebrew. Keg and kit will be ordered from BKT too. If it doesn't come in time or the beer gun isn't worth it I am happy to wait and they can drink bottom shelf supermarket brew.

if the family are coming round- why do you need the beer gun? can you just not serve them it?

That's a fair question but the short term option for my ongoing brewing is bottling. The long-term will be a draught system but I don't have the space for another fridge. The one I have is pretty much tied up with my brew schedule. Hoping to get a new shed installed in 2021/22 so that'll be the time for draught.

ok so are you just looking to bottle direct from your fermenter as usual, prime and bottle condition?

Not used it, looks good but I notice it doesnt have any counter pressure system. I have the last straw bottle filler that works well now Ive had some practise with it. To fill without getting a huge amount of foam it really needs the counter pressure adapter which reduces foaming to almost none.

Edit: above applies if bottling from a keg/pressurised fermentor, not sure what your situation is

ok so are you just looking to bottle direct from your fermenter as usual, prime and bottle condition?

I'm hoping to move on from bottle conditioning, it's what I've done for the last few years but just looking to step up and move towards draught. Have some cash saved for adding to the kit so a starter keg kit was the plan. The family reunion just moved the timeline forward a bit.

Not used it, looks good but I notice it doesnt have any counter pressure system. I have the last straw bottle filler that works well now Ive had some practise with it. To fill without getting a huge amount of foam it really needs the counter pressure adapter which reduces foaming to almost none.

Edit: above applies if bottling from a keg/pressurised fermentor, not sure what your situation is

After a couple of guys local to me got back to me about it I think I'd give it a miss. I'm fed up buying cheap and buying twice. To impatient and proud of my brews to risk a cheap tool wasting it.

The fridge I have as fermenting chamber is filling that split purpose.

I think there will be so much other stuff to do with kegging you won't use the beer gun for a while ( bask in. the joy of not having to bottle!). rack to keg from fermenter, put keg in fridge and cold condition and carb at the same time for a few weeks. I am only looking to use mine now(had it 18 months) as I want to send some bottles out in post,

It is handy to have a bottle filler when you use kegs, like you said competitions, taking to friends etc.

This one looks good if you are bottling occasionally as there is less fuss with disconnecting taps, connecting bottler, flushing lines, etc. If you are bottling a lot of beers it may be a bit more time consuming and difficult as you have to hold the bottles up. I like the look of it and tempted to buy one.

I've got the blichman for 18 months but haven't used it yet. gonna give hot a go with next brew. I hear its problematic with higher carbonated beers (2.5 etc)

I have a cheap copy beer gun like the one you linked - the frame that holds it all together is not very good and it can come apart during use, it can also lose the rubber tip that stops the beer flow. I fitted a rubber bung on it to give some counter pressure when filling which is better than nothing. The key to filling carbonated beer, without excessive foaming is to use cold beer (around 0 degrees C), equipment and bottles.

I have a cheap copy beer gun like the one you linked - the frame that holds it all together is not very good and it can come apart during use, it can also lose the rubber tip that stops the beer flow. I fitted a rubber bung on it to give some counter pressure when filling which is better than nothing. The key to filling carbonated beer, without excessive foaming is to use cold beer (around 0 degrees C), equipment and bottles.
Only problem is that I found taking beer down to zero creates a chill haze that persists in a previously clear beer ar fridge temps. I read somewhere you should keep it a above 2c at all times to avoid this, unless using geletine etc, than zero is perfect time to add it.

A bit off topic but do you know if this includes cold crashing the beer? Before kegging I always cold crash to 0.5C, I wonder if this is why I dont get great clarity with my beers.

After getting bad chill haze I read up on it. It was along the lines Cool to below 2c or 1.8 maybe to create haze then add geletin to clear. Obviously if you don’t add gelatine you’ve Uneccessoerilly created chill haze that stick around for a while even at serving temps!

Not a fan of bottling guns at all. Too much faff for me (I'm a lazy *******) and I was never happy with the results.

If you have an Intertap faucet you can get a growler filler attachment tip, or a ball lock tip and you just lower your serving pressure down to 2-3 PSI and job's a good 'un. Put the bottles/growlers in the freezer prior to transfer and you'll minimise foaming.

Back