Another introduction

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbslaw

Reaction score
Hello there!
Been enjoying following the forums for a few weeks, so thought I should introduce myself.
I re-started kit brewing in January after a hiatus of many years - so far have found the kits to have drastically improved since I was a lad.
So far have done a Norfolk Nog, St Peter's IPA, Brewferm Triple and St Peter's Golden Ale. Currently got a Yorkshire Terrier in secondary FV and a Brupaks Irish Stout and St Peter's Ruby Ale to do.
Really enjoying the fruits of my labour and am finding I prefer my own brews to shop-bought bottles. Results have been steadily improving each time thanks to improved technique and additional kit.
Currently have no plans to go to extract or AG, as I am perfectly happy with the results of the kits, but that might change in time
Thanks for all the advice I have gleaned on here just by browsing.
Cheers :cheers:

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I too have recently come back to home brewing and again like you can't believe how good the kits have got ( compared to when I used to brew 20+ years ago).

Dont be afraid to ask if you need advice :cheers:
Dorrian

I'm a new brewer too. Never done it before and enjoying it like i cant believe. Started with a Youngs Bitter and then did a Nog that is still in the bottles ready for the end of the year thingy. Currently have a Geordie Winter Warmer in the FV, hoping to bottle half of this and keg the other half. Looking forward to doing a Porter with some treacle or Golden Syrup in it (any advice?)

Cheers and enjoy.

P.S. How was your NOG?

Great to hear that so many others are having similar experiences to me - I was really unsure about restarting brewing from kits at first as I'd had such bad experiences in 90s, but as others have noted, it's been a pleasant surprise!
@noddyman - my Nog was not bad thanks, it was my first one, so was a bit rough around the edges and a bit weak and wobbly (more like a strong mild than a porter), but it was good enough to get me to do another. Good luck with yours! :cheers:

bbslaw said:
@noddyman - my Nog was not bad thanks, it was my first one, so was a bit rough around the edges and a bit weak and wobbly (more like a strong mild than a porter), but it was good enough to get me to do another. Good luck with yours! :cheers:

Cheers for that. Looking forward to trying it in about another 4 weeks. The Geordie Winter Warmer is now in 10 bottles with the rest in the keg. Tried it last night after 4 days. It's got promise i tell you!! :thumb:

Welcome bbslaw, like you I recently returned to kits after many years... and was also impressed by the results. Even more impressive is what I've achieved with kits by following the advice in here, which is mostly to be patient! Must say I love my brew fridge and can't imagine how I ever managed without it...

Noob question - what's a brew fridge for? Storing finished beer at a cool cellar temperature, or fermenting beer at a constant warmer temperature (e.g. 18oC)? Or both?

Brewing. Different people use different temperature profiles but I do:

18C for 10 days or until reached FG (fermenting at this temperature is supposed to be best in terms of the alcohols produced by the yeast)
21C for 5 days (not sure exactly the scientific reason for this - people say the yeast "cleans up after itself")
12C for a week (to allow the beer to settle / clear before bottling) - some use as low as 2C for this stage, I believe, so I guess it's not critical

Then bottle.

Before that I simply dropped a cheap fish tank heater into the FV.

I see. So are brew fridges normal fridges with modifications or specially bought? You'd need a heater to get 18/21oC in cooler months, wouldn't you?

Back