Another Kegerator build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a really bad feeling I’ve killed my fridge with screwing in the regulators. The light inside comes on but the compressor isn’t running at all. I’m going to leave it alone overnight and see in the morning but this doesn’t look good. Currently feeling a bit miserable about it.
Compressor is usually on the back on modern fridges.

Yep I know about the compressor - seems really odd. I took out the screws almost completely and it’s working again so I’m concerned I’ve screwed into something electrical which seems very odd for where the screws are. I think I might just use a bit of contact adhesive instead!

While you were building and fixing could the fridge have gone into "power cut" mode. My fridge freezer in the kitchen takes a while to get going again after the power goes off. It's normal according to the destructions!

This stuff is amazing for fixing things in place where you don't want to drill: I reckon you could hang an elephant off it...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071ZYRKQS
Screenshot 2022-03-27 at 10.10.37.png

I was just about to say that on a lot of small modern fridges the evaporator pipes are often buried in the walls - but is that's the case then they will be close to the surface (of the outside) so you can probably count on an inch or so of insulation between them and the interior. Unless you're very unlucky...

Yep I know about the compressor - seems really odd. I took out the screws almost completely and it’s working again so I’m concerned I’ve screwed into something electrical which seems very odd for where the screws are. I think I might just use a bit of contact adhesive instead!
Very glad to hear it's working again - to be honest I'd be pretty surprised if there's any wiring in that area where you've fitted the secondary regs; and also if you'd hit something electrical then it would very likely have blown the fuse and the interior light wouldn't be working.

I think if it were me I think I'd put the screws back in and see what happens... (but I might check first with a multimeter that they aren't connected to live)

This stuff is amazing for fixing things in place where you don't want to drill: I reckon you could hang an elephant off it...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071ZYRKQS
View attachment 65519
I do hope you are all right about the fridge just having a sulk after working on it. I know it really doesn't make sense the screws affecting the fridge where I used them but I think I'm going to go with the tape option and play safe, thanks for the link x.

I do hope you are all right about the fridge just having a sulk after working on it. I know it really doesn't make sense the screws affecting the fridge where I used them but I think I'm going to go with the tape option and play safe, thanks for the link x.
Hope your fridge survived? catching up on some posts, I used spray on blackboard paint on my kegarator, Just masked up the area required and spray away and use old fashioned blackboard chalk.

Hope your fridge survived? catching up on some posts, I used spray on blackboard paint on my kegarator, Just masked up the area required and spray away and use old fashioned blackboard chalk.
Thanks, it has been fine since and I've not used the tape either as the pipes are clipped in higher up and having the secondary valves moveable helps with getting kegs in and out.

Last edited:
I used this. At 99p it was a no brainer, but I do live within walking distance to Toolstation. I know it's meant for wood but did a perfectly food job on the metal/foam/plastic of my fridge.

https://www.toolstation.com/flat-wood-drill-bit/p97780
I used the same bit to drill the holes in my keg fridge, it dulled a bit towards the end of 6 holes and I just resharpened it with the dremel.
Just make sure no cooling lines will get pranged.
The shanks on all of the taps are the same diameter I think.

In terms of your support for the kegs what did you use? Looks like a step set up with one on the flour and two above on the compressor?

In terms of your support for the kegs what did you use? Looks like a step set up with one on the flour and two above on the compressor?
I checked everything would fit first with bits of polystyrene in place of the wood I eventually used. I used plastic coated chipboard (an old ikea wardrobe shelf board) cut to shape for the base, and a double thickness piece of twin-wall polycarboate roofing sheet to level out and extend the compressor hump. I also used part of the shelf board as an upright to support the extended part of the compressor hump shelf, with an off-cut of wood screwed to the back to act as a spacer before the compressor hump front.

I had always intended to make something a bit smarter than this bit of plastic (it was what was available in the garage at the time) but it's been fine and I've never quite got round to it.

Back