Another Kegerator build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocAnna

Queen's Knot Brewing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not terribly original but I'm going to be starting my kegerator build this weekend and have a few questions that I've not found answers to in searches - well one really at the moment. I'm not an engineering expert and already realising my fridge isn't ideal as a kegerator - but I have it now and am going to make the best of it. The fridge has a freezer section on top as I was looking for dedicated hop storage space, this does mean the taps and handles need to be low enough not to project up to the level of the freezer compartment. This does make them a bit low which isn't great. I could just cut my losses and get another fridge but I'm going to go ahead and perhaps in the future work towards a keezer option. I chose to go the kegerator route since it will take up less space than a keezer, and being honest, the idea of the joinery involved with a keezer was a bit intimidating.

The question bit - What should the spacing be for taps on the outside of the fridge door ie gap between taps?

Sourcing parts has been more difficult than expected, what's with the worldwide shortage of 30cm drip trays? Oddly enough Amazon to the rescue which normally I wouldn't go near for brewing things.

Though posted elsewhere this is how my kegs are going to be fitting in. I have decided after all to cut the bottom projecting lip off the inner door, though how to do so neatly and finish it off is still a bit of a puzzle.
The red spot shows where I'm planning on bringing the gas line in to a 4 port manifold, green lines for gas, teal lines for beer. Keeping the manifold on the bottom of the fridge stops the problem of cramming in the lines in the top of the fridge and provides an easy pivot of bringing kegs in and out of the fridge.

IMG_0768.jpeg

Anna

Looks good. Are the kegs at the back ok hanging over the ledge?

Before securing the manifold make sure all the pipes connect correctly. 3/8 isn't very flexible and doesn't like bending which puts strain on the connectors

Kegland via aliexpress would have been the place to look for a tray

Looks good. Are the kegs at the back ok hanging over the ledge?

Before securing the manifold make sure all the pipes connect correctly. 3/8 isn't very flexible and doesn't like bending which puts strain on the connectors

Kegland via aliexpress would have been the place to look for a tray
I haven't added the shelves yet for the kegs - this picture was just a test to see how things fitted. I currently have the 3/8 pipe connected to the manifold and yes, completely get the lack of flexibility! I did have a look at Aliexpress but the cost for shipping the one item was a bit prohibitive.

I struggled to find a drip tray when I built mine. I ended up taking a risk in an AliExpress store I hadn’t heard of before (ElecQueen), and not only was it cheaper than anywhere else (£27 delivered) it actually came from the Netherlands rather than China so came much quicker.

OK another question - how have others cut the holes in the fridge door and what size? The shank I think is 7/8" which is a little more than 22mm. Will a 22 mm hole drill do the job or should I go for 25mm? I already have some flat hole drill bits and wondered if these would be usable or whether I need to purchase a multimaterial hole drill... which feels another cost I hadn't thought of :confused: ?

Anna

I just drilled a pilot hole, then used a 22mm holesaw. It makes the shank a screw fit but other than that, didn't cause me any problems.
Yeah I did the same. I bought a 22mm hole saw off Amazon for about £5.

Just looked and I can get a 25mm OD conduit pipe from screwfix, which I could line the hole with and drill 25mm, which would also support the shank and limit the risk of cracking the door when tightening it up - or am I just making life complicated for myself?

I just drilled a pilot hole, then used a 22mm holesaw. It makes the shank a screw fit but other than that, didn't cause me any problems.
Yeah I did the same. I bought a 22mm hole saw off Amazon for about £5.

Ok, think I'm making life complicated, I've found a 22mm holesaw and shank on toolstation for a little over £5 combined. This drilling and metal stuff is a bit outside my comfort zone!

Ok, think I'm making life complicated, I've found a 22mm holesaw and shank on toolstation for a little over £5 combined. This drilling and metal stuff is a bit outside my comfort zone!
It was outside my comfort zone too, and it didn’t help that my wife had (warranted based on past experience) zero faith in me not to either wreck the fridge or injure myself.

It was surprisingly easy.

I have a couple of comments based on my findings / experience.

In this thread - you can see how I managed to avoid cutting the bottom lip off the door; simply raise the cornies by 25mm or so using some off cuts of wood.

In the post after mine, it mentions something like this: If you really do end upwanting to cut, an alternative might be to see if you can take off the whole door lining and replace with a sheet of flat plastic. Another expense I know, but it depends on how non-destructive you want to be.

As already mentioned, the gas line isn't very flexible. In the same post you can see how I routed gas in towards the rear left of the fridge. You can then mount the manifold towards the rear which may give you a little more room.

If you end up usign a flat spade bit, make sure it's square to the surface you're drilling. When I did it it caught one side, and made a bit of a mess but the hole was scored sufficiently that I was able to pull the centre away across the scored line. You can gently lean the drill over slightly and rotate it in a circular motion to make sure it starts to cut a circle in the surface of the fridge, which will help.

One tip on gas lines - if you use EVAbarrier lines (available in 3/8, 5/16 and 3/16) it is a lot more flexible than the Valpar Brewmaster stuff

Any recommendations on where to buy from? I have all Valpar lines and I've been meaning to change them out for the EVAbarrier stuff for ages.

I used a 22mm holesaw. Little over £2 from local builders merchant. Drilling is easy as you will find the fridges are thin and just foam inside.

Was going to get this tomorrow for a new build but it sold before I could get it. Gutted

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1622716482292.jpg
    FB_IMG_1622716482292.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 70
I used a 22mm holesaw. Little over £2 from local builders merchant. Drilling is easy as you will find the fridges are thin and just foam inside.

Was going to get this tomorrow for a new build but it sold before I could get it. Gutted
That's massive what kind of money are we talking

Any recommendations on where to buy from? I have all Valpar lines and I've been meaning to change them out for the EVAbarrier stuff for ages.

I got mine from Ali Express. I've also bought a reel off Amazon but it seems it's not currently available:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CHKPYM9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I can't see anyone else presently selling it on amazon unfortunately

Get er brewed stock the 3/8 but I can see they're out of stock as well.

The other option is this person on eBay who seems to resell stuff imported off AliExpress. At least you won't have to get it shipped from China and the price is fairly competitive once you factor in the China shipping costs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154163075813
Although I can see they're also out of stock on the 3/8 line and only have the 4mm and 5mm ID x 5/16 OD

If the taps are low then, space permitting you could make a wooden box base to lift it up a bit. Paint it white and it'll look good.

Latest posts

Back