Another newbie from Edinburgh

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfarquhar74

Reaction score
Hey guys & gals,
a quick hello, just a courtesy really as I'm sure I'll be on here a lot in the coming weeks/months looking for advice and asking 'why did that happen?'
Have always like the idea of homebrew, my dad & granddad did it for years (beers & wines) and I was always intrigued how a box of blackened and past it bananas or a bag of scabby looking wild berries could make delicious tasting wines.
I'm starting off with a Youngs brewbuddy starting kit, chose the lager one and we'll see what happens. Don't want to get ahead of myself but there is a nice looking elder tree at the bottom of the garden, plenty berries on now and should ripen up in the next 6/8 weeks. So, will be on the lookout for all the kit I require for wine making, next I would llike to try my hand at some 'honey' beers. Wife loves the stuff so I think I'll be looking for a suitable beer kit to start with and then add honies in lieu of some brewing sugar, is it as easy as this?
Has anyone here heard of or used Edina homebrew based in Edinburgh, heard good things about them and seeing as my local shop is now closed(Village homebrew, Corstorphine) it looks like this is one of the last homebrew shops left in Edinburgh?

Welcome to the forum John.. :thumb:

I'm just waiting myself for the Elder to finish around the lanes here....will be making a bottle or 2 or 3 or many :party:

Your in the right place as well to ask Q's

Try the web sites.....at the top of the page...

ps...new guy on the forum also into mead maybe worth a Look here

Welcome John,

Elderberry is the king of country wine berries, imo anyway. Works very well as a base with raspberries, blackberries, blackcurrants, etc to make some truely fantastic wines.

hiya john, can vouch for edina homebrew, davie in the shop has over 30 years brewing experience and will keep you right. they also have an online shop coming soon www.brewstore.co.uk
johnfarquhar74 said:
Hey guys & gals,
a quick hello, just a courtesy really as I'm sure I'll be on here a lot in the coming weeks/months looking for advice and asking 'why did that happen?'
Have always like the idea of homebrew, my dad & granddad did it for years (beers & wines) and I was always intrigued how a box of blackened and past it bananas or a bag of scabby looking wild berries could make delicious tasting wines.
I'm starting off with a Youngs brewbuddy starting kit, chose the lager one and we'll see what happens. Don't want to get ahead of myself but there is a nice looking elder tree at the bottom of the garden, plenty berries on now and should ripen up in the next 6/8 weeks. So, will be on the lookout for all the kit I require for wine making, next I would llike to try my hand at some 'honey' beers. Wife loves the stuff so I think I'll be looking for a suitable beer kit to start with and then add honies in lieu of some brewing sugar, is it as easy as this?
Has anyone here heard of or used Edina homebrew based in Edinburgh, heard good things about them and seeing as my local shop is now closed(Village homebrew, Corstorphine) it looks like this is one of the last homebrew shops left in Edinburgh?

Hi, welcome to the forum. Edina is a great shop and Davie is a top bloke so he will keep you right for all the bits and bobs.

Back