Any advice on my blonde ale recipe would be welcome

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizurd

Reaction score
Hi,

So far I've done one AG brew of a hobgoblin clone from HBC. All went well but this time I'm looking to do my own American Blonde Ale brew.

Also I'll be doing a small batch in my BIAB setup hoping to produce around 10 L into the 15 L FV that I've bought.

I'm trying to produce a blonde ale that would fit within the style guides for this type of beer so any advice would be welcomed.

Ingredients:
2KG Pale Malt (2 row)
150g Munich Malt
100g Caramalt

Mash
6.75 L @ 67C for 60 minutes

I'm using a mash thickness of 3 L/kg and strike water at 76C to allow for the temp drop of adding the grains.

I'll remove the mash bag once the 60 mins is up and then put it into my second 15 L stock pot which will have the sparge water in it (calculations done on the Wort android app suggest 11.35 L at 78C).

Stir and then let it sit for 10 mins.

Remove the mash bag and add the sparged wort to the initial wort.

Boil for 60 mins adding hops:
Northern Brewer 10g at 60 mins
Whirlfloc and cooler at 15 mins
Citra 10g at 10 mins
Then another 10g of Citra at flameout.

Cool down to 21 degrees and sieve into my 15 L fermenter.

Using US 05 yeast then the usual 2 weeks FV at around 18C, 2 weeks bottle at 18C and then 2 weeks bottled at a cooler conditioning temp.

Do those numbers look ok and the idea of sparging in a second 15 L stock pot sound ok?

Also with conditioning I can get the bottles into the fridge so would that be best say at around 4C ?

Any points or advice very welcomed :-)

Done quite a few biab brews never been one for getting hung up on the numbers but seem to remember calcutating mash volumes for the 1st few but now i just fill up my pan leaving enough room for the grain and go with that. I lose a couple of litres in the bag, sparge in my fv and use that to top up during the boil. I seem to get around 90% efficency and got more when doing a mash out.

Tried a couple of hobgobblin clones but never seemed to come out quite right, how close was yours?

Planning a porter at the weekend does anyone have any thoughts on the effect on mash volume?

Thanks Alan. I'll be trying the blonde ale biab on his weekend hopefully so I'll post up y findings then. I tried my hobgoblin clone as I was bottling it on the weekend. To me it tasted pretty much the same as the real thing. Will see how it tastes after a few weeks in the bottle next. It's the clone from HBC

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

You may want to reduce the munich malt to 100g or it could be overly malty.

Also if you have any citra left dry hop for 5-7 days, say 10gms

Thanks Cheshire. Will definitely with the Munich. I'm was worried it may be too hoppy for a classic blonde ale but then dry hopping won't increase the IBU?

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back