Anyone bought from Powell brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have that exact pot from Powell and have no complaints having brewed eleven 5 gallon batches with it so far.
The pot itself is actually made by Bergland in Germany and I guess Powell modifies it himself.

Two things to note though. Had to tighten up the tap fittings at first as they leaked when I was heating up my mash water for my first batch (bailed out and started again, added an hour on to my brew day) Also my sight glass is off the mark (recalibrated this with a permanent marker.)

Hope this helps.

Also I use a 12" Bazooka screen as a hop filter. If you get one of these then you will also need a 1/2" stainless socket to join the screen to the threads of the tap. Got mine from Brew UK I think.

Also I use a 12" Bazooka screen as a hop filter. If you get one of these then you will also need a 1/2" stainless socket to join the screen to the threads of the tap. Got mine from Brew UK I think.

The one on the site says and has threads on it, or did you mean I need to get something to add to the tap so it can screw in?

Yeah the tap and the screen both have male threads. The socket connects the two.

Not sure about the shorter one on Powell site. Looks like it just has a piece of copper sticking out the end. The 12" one on there is the same as my Bazooka.

I asked him about that too he said

"the only deferens in the hop filters is one the smaller one is made here out of 1mm thick stainless steel and a solid design and the longer fine mesh filter is bought it in is made of a very fine mesh in terms of performance they work the same in terms of cleaning the fine mesh is a little pain as the mesh gets clogged but its no big deal just takes a little more time cleaning
hope this helps
cheers Ian "

Ok just looked again and the copper tail on the shorter one should just push inside the tap hole inside the boiler. The longer one may need the socket, did he not say?

I asked he said whatever one you pick they will supply installed anyway. So that's good. I know it only thumb screws on anyway but at least you do not have to worry about gender changing connections I guess.

Nice one! I didn't want you to get to your first brew day with the new pan and realise that you couldn't connect your hop filter.

When did you last email Rob? He's been on holiday in France for the last two weeks - got back today I think...

Admittedly last week and I did resend it today. I haven't actually bought anything but since I didn't get any reply I started to look elsehwere.

I am in no rush anyway so I will see if he replies when he catches up, a few of you guys seem to vouch for him so it certainly seems worth while just seeing what he says.

Can only say good things about Powell brewing. I have a 50ltr boiler with tap, sight glass and hop filter. I sorted my own element and sent it to them, was fitted and sorted no problems. Will be using again when I need some things next

wow... frustrated I have just seen this thread as I bought a 56ltr boiler from www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk and paid the same price - £120. mine came without a sight glass and I have to fit all the components myself! This came with the added annoyance that I don't have a 30 or 25mm spanner so unless my buddy who works in the tool trade has managed to send me something out by tomorrow, I will have to delay my brew day planned for Saturday!

I was surprised at the size of the pot when it arrived by the way! The pictures do nothing to help with scale of it!

wow... frustrated I have just seen this thread as I bought a 56ltr boiler from www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk and paid the same price - £120. mine came without a sight glass and I have to fit all the components myself! This came with the added annoyance that I don't have a 30 or 25mm spanner so unless my buddy who works in the tool trade has managed to send me something out by tomorrow, I will have to delay my brew day planned for Saturday!

I was surprised at the size of the pot when it arrived by the way! The pictures do nothing to help with scale of it!

I looked at them I even sent them an email but got an answer back to a different question.. doesn't yours come with elements??? this isn't elements but will be for gas burner

I looked at them I even sent them an email but got an answer back to a different question.. doesn't yours come with elements??? this isn't elements but will be for gas burner
Yes elements are included but I didn't get a sight glass... And as I said the fitting is done by yours truly! Just checked and they now seem to include this for the same price!?! Worthless me arguing as there is obviously no hole drilled in my pot to take the site glass and I don't really fancy trying to drill one myself...

Yes elements are included but I didn't get a sight glass... And as I said the fitting is done by yours truly! Just checked and they now seem to include this for the same price!?! Worthless me arguing as there is obviously no hole drilled in my pot to take the site glass and I don't really fancy trying to drill one myself...

Well the price difference you have will at least be for the elements..

I cannot find your pot on that site I find it a little hard to always find what I want there.

Back