Anyone doing dry January?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Urgh. I'm doing it. Must the first time I've gone a week without a drink for over a decade. I'll be knocking back on few on the 1st Feb, even if it is a Monday.

God no... not a chance.

I'm not a huge drinker and I'll often go a week without a drop, but I don't want to not have the option to have one.

Hats off to the people doing it to raise awareness of a condition or raise money for a charity, but the ones who just do it for the challenge or for something to be self-righteous about.... why?

I had viral labyrithitis many years ago, I found the meds didn't make much differencxe and spent a large proportion of my day sitting in a chair trying not to move my head because it made me feel dizzy and queasy. The only thing I found DID help was a beer or two - after one I could walk around my flat, after two I could walk to the pub!!
I do think a few dry days a week is a good idea though.

My missus is suffering with labrynthitis too, but she doesn't drink unfortunately! How long did it last?

Lasted a fortnight, you go to work in the dark, get home in the dark so you can drink tea on a Friday and Saturday night, I don't think so.

Absolutely no chance - :drunk: I don't normally drink mon-wed and I keep a chart (have been for the last 10 years)

over that time my long term average is 35 units although for various reasons recently my average has been above that. I have decided to brew slightly lower abv beers this year than i've been doing for the last year to reduce my unit intake. Although i'm tempted to nip down the shed to 'test' :whistle: my 9.3% xmas 2016 beer!

Dryish - no beers Tuesday to Thursday (but I could really fancy one right now)

A dry January?? The "Ho, ho, ho!!" season has passed so I will replace it with "No chance in our family!" instead.:thumb:

I give you my Uncle Ern as an example of the damage that can be wrought by the evil drink - especially beer.

From the age of eighteen my Uncle Ern, a collier by occupation, never drank less than eight-pints of beer a day. This was usually Mansfield Bitter but he would try other brands of bitter when he was on holiday.

Uncle Ern seldom touched "shorts" or wines but at the age of 78 years he switched to whisky because (I quote) "I was spending more time in the toilet than at the bar."

The last time I saw my Uncle Ern he was fit enough to be looking for a woman to accompany him on a wine-tasting bus tour of the German vineyards.

He died aged 82 (an incredible age for a coalminer) and I dearly hope that I have some of his genes.

Hard to remember (it was a long time ago), maybe a couple of weeks, but it faded away gradually.

Remaining healthy is merely the slowest way to die:eek:

live fast - die young

ok ok, live fastish die young-ish

I want to pack 90 years of life into 60 years :-)

so dry January was never going to happen:whistle:

Yeah. We had no trains out of Liverpool St on Weds. I wasn't going to be mooching around the City all night, so I met up with a few friends and it it was bye bye dry Jan.

Got drunk so much easier though.

I was meant to be doing my first AG experiment last night, but my mate came round and we spent the night doing "research" instead. I've broken my hydrometer, but convinced my mate to give HB a go too.

God, I'm rough this morning though.

Back