Anyone experience with Bulldog B19 Belgian Trapix yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chthon

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have bought six dry abbey beer yeasts, but Bulldog's B19 has the least information. Anyone used it already, and what results did you have?

I haven't used B19, but have used the steam lager B23 and really liked it. I also found very little about the bulldog yeasts when I researched them. Would be interested to learn how you get on with this one.

bulldog comes from hambilton bard.... you can ring them up and ask for further info on the yeast.

http://www.bulldogbrews.co.uk/products/bulldog-beer-yeast/b19-belgian-trapix-beer-yeast.html

I spoke to a helpful chap there because there were no re-hydration instructions. He said they don't put them on the website because some numpties used boiled water and killed the yeast but he did confirm 30-35 to re-hydrate would be fine - which in in line with MJ's instructions.

I did a 7.2% abbeyness with it. I liked it

I will add some experiences. I brewed two beers with it, one a 6.6% ABV blond beer, and a tripel at 8%. Very nice results. I have pitched them at 0,75 pitch rate. Fermentation temperature started above 20° C, but this is not a problem for this yeast. I don't detect any off tastes (but that could also be because I use open fermentation).

For the ABV, the real ABV of both beers is actually 6.1%, and 7.5% to keep within the limits for the yeast. The extra 0.5% is due to the carbonation sugar.

The first beer was all malt, and I got an attenuation of 77%. The second contained 18% sugar, and I got an attenuation of 82%.

In both cases I also created a starter of 0,5l, 1.040 gravity, with half a packet or 5 grams of yeast.

Latest posts

Back