Anyone got a proven recipe for horseradish vodka?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebell

Reaction score
Fancy making it as a winter cold cure but dont want to blow my head off :hmm:

obviously you'll be making this in the same way that one would make Limoncello, by buying a bottle of vodka, and adding the horseradish, and leaving it for a while - like sloe gin.

otherwise we could only discuss the first half of the other process, after which you'd have to have the conversation elsewhere...

That's not spelt reet either..... :wha:

Oh b u g g e r I've done it again :oops:

Would there even be enough sugar in horseradish to get any sort of viable wort from it?

Admittedly, it sounds 'orrible, but if a wort can be achieved then add one of the super yeasts that are supposed to give 20% alchohol and then you just don't need a mixer with your vodka :)

That, or soak horseradish in vodka, but to be honest, either option sounds lie it would make some nasty booze, of is there summat to it I'm not seeing? I do like some of the flavoured vodkas you see and am mostly up to try summat new :)

omg :sick: :sick: :sick: no whayyyyyyyyyyy i rember a mate was showing of with his g/f having a shot of chillie voddy he could not talk for a bit lmao :rofl:

The germans do it to their schnapps i went ski-ing once over there and after in the bar we noticed the bottles on the top shelf and had a go at them - much to the consternation of the bar keep who thought we were complete alchos. One of those was loaded with chillies = fair takes the chill off the nite air in those parts - and others pmsl!! :grin:

This one came from the Guardian. Purported to be a Russian recipe.
Horseradish vodka
1 litre of good vodka
1 large, fresh horseradish root
5 tsp of honey

Peel the horseradish root and then slice it carefully with a very sharp knife into long thin slivers of about 10 cm – you should end up with 12-15 of them. Place them in your thoroughly cleaned bottle. Pour a little vodka into a small glass and stir in the honey until it dissolves, then pour this over the horseradish slivers. Pour the rest of the vodka into the bottle up to the neck, covering the horseradish.

Leave in a dark place to infuse for 3-4 days, after which pour it through a colander or sieve, discarding the horseradish, and return to a clean bottle. Use within 3-4 months.

Horseradish vodka sounds interesting, but I have never heard of anyone making vodka unless your plan is to distille it?
If you want something strong but legal; I would suggest try making one of the following
-Carrot Whisky
-Cumberland Brandy
-Marrow Rum

I can link you to recipes. (all of them avoid distillation and are legal in the UK)

Good luck either way.
Liam

At a quid for a kilo, I'm interested in the carrot whiskey, although I know a few Scots who might be interested in a 'little chat' about the stuff ;) :D

Could just add Wasabi powder, leave for a week and filter through a coffee filter........... :shock:

Back