Anyone had much luck asking breweries for recipes?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
My brother in law went on a tour of Eden Mill brewery just outside St Andrews at the weekend. I asked if he could pick me up some bottles of their Kilted Kittock beer, but it turns out that they have made it a seasonal beer.

I sent them a Facebook message at lunchtime to ask if they can give me any details of the recipe so I'll wait and see what they say.

What are other people's experiences of doing this?

I asked Scott from the Williams Bros (via email) for tips on cloning the Ceaser Augustus and he replied with the hop details, even though it was different to their website description.
Least he replied i guess

I have emailed a few breweries, mostly about yeast mostly and usually get positive response. One brewery even gave me instructions for harvesting the yeast but it was only us05

Yes! I've contacted Cloudwater about their DIPA v3 (see here for recipe) and recently queried Baird Beer about their Suruga Bay IIPA (if you're curious they use Columbus, Citra, Simcoe, Chinook, Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo in it with a varied hop cycle).

I also had a contact with Weird Beard because i was very much in love with the Black IPA Something Something Dark Side - managed to get the recipe for that too.

All i've done with contacting them is show some nous and understanding about their beers (e.g. i asked Baird about the complementary hops because i caught Citra and Apollo hops from it) and said i'm a keen homebrewer looking to emulate and improve. They respond in kind.

Best of luck!

I asked Scott from the Williams Bros (via email) for tips on cloning the Ceaser Augustus and he replied with the hop details, even though it was different to their website description.
Least he replied i guess
Hey pms, would you mind sharing? I also emailed to ask about Augustus and remember thinking that it didn't match the website.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Hey pms, would you mind sharing? I also emailed to ask about Augustus and remember thinking that it didn't match the website.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

He said its the hops on the website and a decent dryhop with Amarillo and Nelson Sauvin??
BTW mines didn't taste like it so maybe he was putting me off 😂😂😂😂

Hmm, I was told that the dry hop was Amarillo and Styrian goldings?

I thought that the goldings was unusual for a dry hop but haven't got around to trying it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back