Are cornies any good?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

Any chance one of you good people could have a look at my post on the previous page and educate me a little?
Kegs will be new to me when I have the funds to buy them :-)

Thanks.

Muddy Funker said:
My question is: The time the beer spends in the bottle/pressure keg conditioning and then somewhere cool for a few weeks is to allow the flavours to develop and C02 to get into the beer correct?

So using the corny/C02 tank bypasses the need to wait for the fizz but what about flavours to develop? Do you guys rack into the corny after fermenation, carb but then give the beer time to develop or just drink straight away?

Many Thanks

In terms of conditioning, if you're using priming sugars then most of the fizz will be there after the first week or so, much like it takes a week or so for a (usual) beer to ferment.

So you still have to wait for the beer to mature in terms of flavour so it doesn't taste as "green" (assuming you let it mature when you don't use corny kegs). Also some rack to a secondary vessel for a while to ensure the beer is bright before it goes into the corny, then carb.

That hopefully gets you started and isn't misinformation - I'm a member of The LFBO (The Lunatic Fringe of Bottles Only).

Muddy Funker said:
Little thread bump.

I will be going down the corny/kegerator route as soon as money allows.

My question is: The time the beer spends in the bottle/pressure keg conditioning and then somewhere cool for a few weeks is to allow the flavours to develop and C02 to get into the beer correct?

So using the corny/C02 tank bypasses the need to wait for the fizz but what about flavours to develop? Do you guys rack into the corny after fermenation, carb but then give the beer time to develop or just drink straight away?

Many Thanks

im no expert as ive not got a corny but ive watched quite a few videos and they say the beer is drinkable if you force carbonate it but you can leave it in for a weeks to carbonate and for the flavours to develop.

Nice one chaps this makes sense now.

So no need to wait too long for the carbonation if forcing, but ideally still wait a few weeks for the beer to develop.

Thanks for your help :-)

abeyptfc said:
Muddy Funker said:
Nice one chaps this makes sense now.

So no need to wait too long for the carbonation if forcing, but ideally still wait a few weeks for the beer to develop.

Thanks for your help :-)

thats pretty much how i viewed it yeah,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKMsc4UtAtY&feature=feedlik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTsSvaQHxDY&feature=related
these 2 videos are good, the craigtube stuff is good aswell, he's got 4 different vids on kegging.

Lovely thanks for the links.
I'm in contact with craigtube he a lovely guy. He's got some really good beginner brewing videos plus alot of other interesting stuff. I'm a subscriber!

Back