Are dry hops over rated?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found another use for dry hoping I brewed a stout that was a bit sweet then I read dry hoping will take away some of the sweetness it worked a treat.

Does it taste the same as dry hopping?
As others have said, if kegging I add the hop tea to the keg prior to racking the fermented beer on. If bottling I mix the hop tea with the priming sugar and again rack the fermented beer on to it (in the bottling bucket). If you individually prime your bottles I would add your hop tea to whatever your beer is in prior to bottling to avoid oxidisation.

Dry hopping definitely gives a unique flavour especially when large quantities are used, but I think the downside is beers get a bit samey if its overdone and it takes away the subtlety from the beer if 99% of what you can taste is the dry hops. I'm currently drinking what is described on the can as a dry hopped lager and it tastes very close to what a NEIPA would be like.

Last edited:
Yeah. Gush issues, hop creep, expensive hops, aeration, possibly infections and fast fade out flavours.

As others have said, if kegging I add the hop tea to the keg prior to racking the fermented beer on. If bottling I mix the hop tea with the priming sugar and again rack the fermented beer on to it (in the bottling bucket). If you individually prime your bottles I would add your hop tea to whatever your beer is in prior to bottling to avoid oxidisation.

But now, that's something interesting.

I usually use high proof alcohol and do a hop extract, adding direct to the bottle. 4g of hops to 200mL of ethanol. 3 hours. 4 mL each bottle is a good place to start. Just test before, because it's pretty intense.

how do you dry hop in a closed system? I was thinking of putting dry hops in a keg, purging it then closed transfer, to keg, then 3 days later rack again to another purged keg. But if a faff, so since I’ve gone to closed transfers I am actually dry hopping less.
You can open the lid and throw the hops in. There will be a blanket of co2. You could hook it up to the gas afterwards and purge it, if you wanted.

However, if you are brewing under pressure, you will need to hold the bag to the underside of the lid with magnets. Releasing when desired.

I’d worry about cold crashing with the hops still in there. I someonetimes get a kind of woody aroma after dry hopping, especially with English hops but also some US. I gave them up completely for a while hence finding this thread interesting. I’ve found mosaic to be the best in terms of avoiding it.

ive tried 40g of those Lupo ones in my latest, that was in brewbucket in a spider put in on day 7 or 8 then kegged three days later and left at room temp for a couple of days. The idea being less veggy matter may help..

by contrast my first brewing under pressure in the fermentervking junior just had a massive hop stand Instead.

Wow! What a lot of replies. I’ve not been cooling before my flameout addition on my last few brews but after reading all the above thoughts I’ll cool to 80C next time.
Another thought. If you really want to taste your hops in a home brew, have a few days off from drinking:oops: or drink beers with few hops. When you come back to the home brew it’ll seem massively hoppy. Hop tolerance is a real thing.

I
Wow! What a lot of replies. I’ve not been cooling before my flameout addition on my last few brews but after reading all the above thoughts I’ll cool to 80C next time.
Another thought. If you really want to taste your hops in a home brew, have a few days off from drinking:oops: or drink beers with few hops. When you come back to the home brew it’ll seem massively hoppy. Hop tolerance is a real thing.
I agree on the hop tolerance thing! I've had this when out on a bender...went into a pub which had a great selection.. Beavertown on draught was one,so I got talking beer with the bar man who started dishing up some samples..after the Beavertown I couldn't taste the next two.

I

I agree on the hop tolerance thing! I've had this when out on a bender...went into a pub which had a great selection.. Beavertown on draught was one,so I got talking beer with the bar man who started dishing up some samples..after the Beavertown I couldn't taste the next two.
You couldn't taste them as you missed your mouth.

TBH I've had great results dry hopping, I do use 200gms to 250gms per 25ltr brew, even after leaving them to condition they still have a great aroma and taste.

Latest posts

Back