Army now suitable for the needy.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duxuk

Landlord.
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42629529
Today there has been criticism of the Army's new ad. campaign. It seems to be trying to appeal to the emotionally needy. Should those with no backbone really be serving in the forces? If they sympathise with our enemies should they be allowed to opt out?

It seems to be trying to appeal to the emotionally needy. Should those with no backbone really be serving in the forces?

I can already see the claims of PRE- traumatic stress syndrome whenever the threat of active service is in the air.

I have been listening to their on 5live most of the day they are struggling to get new recruits because the powers that be thought it a good idea to stop them recruiting themselves and hand it to a company instead, they need to get away from the image of a seargent major screaming into a new soldiers face and the old beliefs that you will be bullied and treat like **** if you are not up to scratch etc, maybe the advert will help them get new recruits maybe it won't but if they do not do something and soon we won't have an army in the not too distant future.

Plenty of options for recruitment. ...there's 1000's who want to move to the UK. ..recruit them. They can earn citizenship. Also there's national service ...before my time but it would sort a lot of skivers out.
I'm off to find my tin hat ..

I think it's 3 years or get wounded in the French Foreign Legion and you can become a full citizen.

I'd sooner have a bunch of Gurkhas who can read and write than a bunch of channel hoppers who don't.

aamcle

Gaawd, the Army ought to be manned by a bunch of wild-eyed desperados who enjoy taking a good kicking as much as dishing one out, not full of snowflakes who can't live without summat to get stressed about.

The Army had a great recruitment campaign way back in the 1970's and 80's. Unfortunately, it got modified by the general public to read as follows:

Join the Army
Travel the World
See new Places
Meet new People
And Kill Them​

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:​

Also, why do people think that homosexual men are somehow less brave than heterosexual men?

In ancient times, many regiments of fighting men were made up of homosexuals and a whole regiment of Spartans was made up of same-sex couples. Think about it? Who are you more likely to fight to the death for? A "good mate" or "your partner"?

History teaches us that a person's sexual orientation has absolutely nothing to do with their ability to fight or endure hardship.

From personal experience I once sailed with a 6'4" tall Fireman who was (in the parlance of the time) "As bent as a paper-clip." I think of him whenever anyone tells the tale that a man tried to pick them up in a public toilet; and they responded by beating them up.

He was a nice quiet lad until something upset him. A good example was when a fellow sailor disposed of a pet monkey by throwing it over the side whilst we were at sea. When the Fireman found out he hit the guy so hard he was kept in the ship's hospital for three days!

Believe me, I wouldn't have fancied my chances against this lad if he had both hands tied behind his back and I was wielding a baseball bat. :lol: :lol:

Happy Days! :thumb:

I can see why the army can't recruit. Since 9/11 they've sent military personnel out to Iraq/Afgan to fight nonsense wars as America's lapdog and then abandoned them when they came home either physically or psychologically traumatised or in a lot of cases, both. If men and women go out and lay their lives on the line for this country they shouldn't end up homeless on the street because it's cheaper than treating them and housing them and paying them back for the service they willingly gave to this country.

It takes a special kind of person to be a good soldier.
Some young people just have a huge amount of enthusiasm for adventure. Some want to fight as well.
If it wasn't part of our psychie , we would have never left the plains of East Africa all those hundreds of thousands of years ago.

I can see why the army can't recruit. Since 9/11 they've sent military personnel out to Iraq/Afgan to fight nonsense wars ...............

We were sending men to fight in Afghanistan well over 100 years ago with the same futile results. In one of the Sherlock Holmes stories (written before 1900) Holmes asks Watson if he has a revolver with him and he more or less replies "Of course I do. I was out in Afghanistan. I never go anywhere without it."

The one thing we can learn from politicians is that they never learn!

"The one thing we can learn from politicians is that they never learn!"

The fact that women and homosexuals can now join the forces does prove that politicians do on occasion learn.
If we want people to feel included in our wider society and work for it not against it, then surely being represented in that society's main tools for protecting it the police and armed forces is crucial. It follows that reassuring members of minorities or previously excluded groups that they can have a place in these constructs without compromising themselves or their beliefs is important. It also sends a message out to other members of these communities that may have no intent of joining the forces or the police that they are there to protect and work for them.
One of the reasons politicians are believed not to learn is the fact the they represent/reflect their electorate. So the next time a Conservative MP tweets a racist comment or a Labour MP calls for the dissolution of the monarchy, ask is that because of us? (well I could go with the dissolution of the monarchy so that probably is me) :confused1:

Last edited:
Back