Attenuation query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keruso

Regular.
Reaction score
I follow the same process every IPA brew, 3 litre yeast starter, 22 litres into the fermenter with yeast nutrient, two weeks in a temp controlled brew fridge. I use a recipe builder which is pretty reliable with its predictions for OG and FG. When I make a double IPA I’ll get 1.070 OG and depending on the yeast will get a FG close to what to expect given the yeast manufacturer stated attenuation. I have been disappointed with WLP051 on a couple of brews which both stopped at 1.019, no amount of encouragement would move it further. I thought fermentation had stuck but actually it was in the lower end of the expected attenuation range so probably finished normally. Using wyeast 1272 recently, same grain bill and mash temperature, which has a similar attenuation range 72-76% the FG reached 1.012 which is 82% attenuation, way over expected. I wondered if there’s a reason or whether WLP051 does finish short and 1272 will go further ?

Latest posts

Back